Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill climbing

Definitely more efficient to climb seated but not necessarily faster. It’s easier to lay the power down while standing but you soon run out of puff. I think a combination is best.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    Is that even for sustained periods? I find that I definitely climb faster seated, obviously a short effort standing can be quicker, but that can't be sustained for too long.

I can't help feeling that you're doing something wrong in terms of gear selection or cadence or something. Everything I've ever read states that you climb more quickly and more efficiently when seated.
    Well the other day I did 10x up boxhill non stop...each time I was standing..killed me in the end...I should have stopped at 8

[QUOTE=VLAD (the Friendly Vamp);438924]It uses more energy standing up on hills than sitting as more muscle groups used.

Its faster but harder on the body.{/Quote] Wot he says.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    One climb around her is a nice 4% to start -5% in the midle and then 6% at the top and going over goes to 4% again. - I love to stand all the way up and honk like mad - but it kills your legs and as it steepens you feel it and they go like jelly and you crumble.
    There's a hill by us the local clubs use for their hill climb, its less that 1 km but rises over 100 m. It starts gently at 4-5%, quickly goes to 10% for most of the way then the last 100 m is 20-25%, most times I climb it seated but occasionally feel I'm going to stall and get out the saddle for the final 50 m or so. Another one out of Marlow is a steady 10% with a hairpin half way which is probably close to 70-80% on the inside of the bend - I have to get out the saddle for few revolutions for that or I would stall.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Spinners are winners
    I only stand on really steep stuff for short periods the rest of the time I just sit and spin.

I'm another who only does short standing stints. It helps to break up longer climbs, especially on short, steep sections. I don't think I could do any entire sustained effort standing up...well, I probably could, but I would find it very tiring.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Have to stand on the flats at times as well - gives the undercarriage a rest you know what I mean.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Have to stand on the flats at times as well - gives the undercarriage a rest you know what I mean.
    You need a different saddle then Vlad! My lower back suffers quite a bit these days so after about 90 minutes I have to stretch it a bit and do stand for a few seconds just for that but usually leave it for a slight incline or even coasting downhill rather than actually on the flat but it has been known if there's no hill in sight.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Its just having 14 stone sat on a thin saddle. Its getting better though - was 15.5 stone.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Its just having 14 stone sat on a thin saddle. Its getting better though - was 15.5 stone.
    But then you have a lot more padding than my 62 kg bony arse!

True
    Gene Simmons - Kiss