Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre cut

Tyre cut

All right gang, wot we think of this? Just found on front tyre on Canyon, tyres just over a year old, Continental Grand Prix 4000s. The cut is small, tyres are 25mm but there seems to be perishing around the cut(?). So, attempt repair, ignore or bin tyre and buy new?

Cheers.
    tyre.jpg
    All the gear and no idea.

Can't see it very clearly so need to know if its a cut from a stone/glass whatever or a weakness if is perished. If the former - if I chucked every tyre after the first cut I'd be buying new ones all the time, so maybe put a tyre boot under it if you're worried but if you thinks its perished ditch it.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

The tightwad in me says repair with some superglue, provided there is no intrusion into the inside of the tyre.

Mr Sensible Trousers says a new Conti is 30. It is all sole contact point between you and the ground. Replace it, or it will niggle at you every time you are scooting down a hill.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Thanks both, I only discovered it just before leaving for work this evening so haven't had a chance to remove tyre for full inspection. I reduced size of photo to post here so when home I'll try reposting with bigger view. As it's on front and if damage not too bad I may swap front and rears around. I'd rather rear go than front but when all said and done if in doubt I'll buy a new one.

Cheers again.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    All right gang, wot we think of this?

Cheers.
    tyre.jpg
    Yep, its a hole quite defiantly. I'd ask people to see what they think about getting it repaired.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Yep, its a hole quite defiantly. I'd ask people to see what they think about getting it repaired.
    Right. Well, thanks for the input. Most helpful.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Personally I would bin it and use it as a spare. The area around the cut looks to be a bit worn, so..... yep - new tyre.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Yeah new tyre almost certainly route I'll go down. Evans Cycles got them for 30 and I get 8% off through work so....

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    All right gang, wot we think of this? Just found on front tyre on Canyon, tyres just over a year old, Continental Grand Prix 4000s. The cut is small, tyres are 25mm but there seems to be perishing around the cut(?). So, attempt repair, ignore or bin tyre and buy new?

Cheers.
    tyre.jpg
    Same tyres and very similar cut in the rear. GP,s 4000 they always cut up on me. More so if I run on pathways small sharp flint like aggregate.
    I keep looking at mine but I haven’t changed the tyre yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Yep, it's certainly proud to be a hole. Which it definitely is