Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post

At 6AM precisely, the sun rises. The walker sets his watch for 6AM on the dot and starts jogging at 8.0 miles per hour toward the sun.
    At 11:59:20 AM on his clock, the sun is precisely overhead. He's arrived at his turning point before noon because he was walking with the rotation of the earth, into the sunrise. He has now traveled 47.912 miles due East.
    He turns around and heads back. At 6:00:40 on his clock, the sun dips below the horizon. He stops. He has now traveled 48.088 miles West from the point where he turned around, or (48.088 - 47.912) miles past his starting point. That's about 300 yards, or 80 seconds of walking from his original starting point. He's gained 80 seconds on the sun in this brisk 12 hour and 80 second marathon.
    If you agree that his morning trip is shorter than his evening trip, as it must be, then the conclusion is inevitable. He walks back in the afternoon further than he walked out in the morning. "Time" cannot cancel out, there is no negative time.
    Unless the walker is a positron or something.

Remember that it takes the sun

Well clearly that's all cobblers - walkers don't jog, they walk. Clue's in the name

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Well yes that is bloomin' obvious as you've lost binocular vision.

I currently have a one eyed kitten, someone dumped in on the surgery doorstep with its right eye bulging out and I had to enucleate it (I could have euthanased it but that wouldn't have been right) and it now resides at home with the other waifs and stays. The point is that his vision is actually quite good as he probably never got used to having two eyes.

However balance relies heavily of vision which is why we get motion sickness if we can't see were we're going. My balance relies very heavily on my vision, in good light I can ski/board brilliantly, in flat light by balance goes completely to pot and I'm floundering like a novice in fact I get motion sickness because by eyes are not telling me what my proprioceptors are sensing.
    Yes, but it still strikes me as surprising that over a long distance the relatively small difference in location of your eyes can render distance judgement difficult.

Kudos on rescuing the one-eyed moggy... despite what they say, you're evidently a good bloke!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

How comes they let you drive even if you are blind in one eye..?

sounds kinda dangerous to me

Exactly. Maybe they assess you in some way!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    How comes they let you drive even if you are blind in one eye..?

sounds kinda dangerous to me
    Because most things you observe when driving are at near infinity as far as binocular vision is concerned, so it becomes irrelevant - I don't think Mr Boy's observation is true, I don't find judging distance at a distance with one eye closed is an issue. Maybe an issue trying to swat a wasp on your windscreen mind you!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Actually it came to mind when I was in traffic and poked myself in the eye putting my sunglasses on, and had a momentary panic about the car in front!

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Actually it came to mind when I was in traffic and poked myself in the eye putting my sunglasses on, and had a momentary panic about the car in front!
    Ha ha ha ha

Kudos on rescuing the one-eyed moggy... despite what they say, you're evidently a good bloke!

^^^ this

Sadly so many sick/injured/abandoned animals get dumped on us I cannot rescue them all. My nurses take a few and we generally find sanctuaries/rescue societies to take the rest but quite a few injured wildlife casualties get euthanased. All my pets are/have been rescues, I've never had to go looking for one!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Good to see that the Goverment is now making it illigal to eat Dog Meat. You could of killed your own dog and eaten it! What a strange world we live in.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!