Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    All about LondonRide, RL is for the tourists =)
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    ^This, then you don't have all the hassle of getting to the start and following the whole route. Also you feel like a boss, because you are fresh as a daisy and they have all done 50 miles.
    Exactly. Actually, next year I might jump on around mile 65. After Boxhill it's pretty much downhill to the finishing line, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Come to London for the day....we can all do a group ride....then go to the Amstel beer tent after ....I'll bring a thermos of tea for you Vamps
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only advantage I can see of either doing the ride officially, or jumping in, is that you can ride on roads in central London with no traffic if that rings you bells - it doesn't mine. Otherwise everything is a disadvantage over a nice quiet ride on the same lanes on another day. I really just don't get why anyone other than novices thinking they're doing something special, and as an incentive to get them out and train, bother.

If we're going to do a group ride lets arrange it on nice quiet roads somewhere mutually convenient and go to the pub afterwards. I'll volunteer to be the base and take you on a 100 mile loop through the Chilterns, and the pub at the end of the road sells Amstel if that is your thing - I prefer the real ale.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Nice idea CB - you can then check Boxeys Temperature whilst here there - I'm sure the thermometer will fit !!
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only advantage I can see of either doing the ride officially, or jumping in, is that you can ride on roads in central London with no traffic if that rings you bells - it doesn't mine. Otherwise everything is a disadvantage over a nice quiet ride on the same lanes on another day. I really just don't get why anyone other than novices thinking they're doing something special, and as an incentive to get them out and train, bother.

If we're going to do a group ride lets arrange it on nice quiet roads somewhere mutually convenient and go to the pub afterwards. I'll volunteer to be the base and take you on a 100 mile loop through the Chilterns, and the pub at the end of the road sells Amstel if that is your thing - I prefer the real ale.
    The Tour of Pembrokeshire basically covers most of the roads I ride on every time I'm out on bike so I feel a bit like CB in that why should I pay to rides roads I can do for free every day. I have to say if it was a closed road event I'd be tempted but otherwise can't see the point really.
    All the gear and no idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    We heard you loud and clear last time

The only advantage I can see of either doing the ride officially, or jumping in, is that you can ride on roads in central London with no traffic if that rings you bells - it doesn't mine.
    That's fine with me. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I really just don't get why anyone other than novices thinking they're doing something special, and as an incentive to get them out and train, bother.
    For me a bigger mystery is what motivates a person to reply in a thread just to express their indifference about something that others find exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    For me a bigger mystery is what motivates a person to reply in a thread just to express their indifference about something that others find exciting.
    Perhaps because you keep repeating yourselves I find a need to do the same.

I can vaguely understand why someone inexperienced would enter for the whole experience but not why you would want to jump in and ride on congested roads, in dangerous conditions, with thousands of incompetent cyclists all over the show and having to wait and queue at times because someone has died, especially when you're freeloading on an organised ride others have paid for. Can you tell me what you find exiting about that and maybe I'll stop criticising.

I promise this will be my last word on the subject of this or any other organised mass ride, equally I will never again criticise anyone for boasting about Strava KOMs instead of getting out and entering a real race.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 8th August 2018 at 5:22 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Perhaps because you keep repeating yourselves I find a need to do the same.

I can vaguely understand why someone inexperienced would enter for the whole experience but not why you would want to jump in and ride on congested roads, in dangerous conditions, with thousands of incompetent cyclists all over the show and having to wait and queue at times because someone has died, especially when you're freeloading on an organised ride others have paid for. Can you tell me what you find exiting about that and maybe I'll stop criticising.

I promise this will be my last word on the subject of this or any other organised mass ride, equally I will never again criticise anyone for boasting about Strava KOMs instead of getting out and entering a real race.
    Deal. haha

Can you tell me what you find exiting about that and maybe I'll stop criticising
    So far I have done the ride 3 times... All of them "officially" so I cannot possibly comment on that

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Hey cb - had a 6th on a kom on sunday - its all over strava - not done a real race for years now.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Hey cb - had a 6th on a kom on sunday - its all over strava - not done a real race for years now.
    I was racing my son today...and won....a win is a win...I don't care that he is 11...I might buy a medal and celebrate