Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old age SUCKS!!

Old age SUCKS!!

Last week I was doing some weights with a kettle bell I have...not super heavy just 8kg.
    cant remember what exercise I was doing but I remember I was struggling ...no pain no gain

anyway the next day...I couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder....didn't think much of it just had it down to muscle rip and it'll be gone in a few days

fast forward to this week and I'm still struggling to lift my arm above the shoulder
    the muscle that hurts is between the bi's and tri's but just below the shoulder
    Is there anything I can do??

never had it before ever....got to be old age....it SUCKS

Could either be a muscle tear or tendon, or even a trapped nerve.

Either way I'd rest it, take some anti-inflammatories and see how it goes. From experience, it takes a lot longer for these injuries to heal themselves as we get older!

If no joy, go and see a physio.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Tendon I'd say. I've had shoulder problems for years and about 5 years ago I tore my left bicep and ended up having a subacromial decompression operation. Which to you and me is having the shoulder blade trimmed out to allow the tendon to move more easily and (hopefully) without pain. My op worked a treat but hopefully you won't need such drastic action.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Last week I was doing some weights with a kettle bell I have...not super heavy just 8kg.
    cant remember what exercise I was doing but I remember I was struggling ...no pain no gain

anyway the next day...I couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder....didn't think much of it just had it down to muscle rip and it'll be gone in a few days

fast forward to this week and I'm still struggling to lift my arm above the shoulder
    the muscle that hurts is between the bi's and tri's but just below the shoulder
    Is there anything I can do??

never had it before ever....got to be old age....it SUCKS
    I had a frozen shoulder that took a year to get better despite physio/NSAIDs when I was about 40 (if you consider that old age wait until you're 68)! Second one was about 10 years later and that took 6 monnths to get better with no treatment at all. Now I have another, legacy of my skiing accident in January when I fractured both my scapulae and tore a whole load of tendons/ligaments. Orthopod says it could take 12-18 months to get better and agreed that treatment will have little benefit. That said he did give me an injection of corticosteroid into the torn tendon of my left infraspinatous muscle and that helped tremendously. I just accept it and put up with the limited range of movement.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Ha Ha Ha - and you take the Piss out of me and my back. You old fossil.

"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I was misdiagnosed by my GP with "Tennis Elbow" a couple of months ago.I woke up one morning and I was struggling to lift a cup of coffee to my mouth with my left arm.I thought I'd slept on it or something but after a few days it was no better.I can push,pull no problem but try to lift a drink to my mouth and I lose all strength.I managed to see my GP after about 10 days who said it was Tennis Elbow and to take anti-inflammatories and wear an elbow brace for work.6 weeks later,including 2 weeks holiday and it's no better so I went to see the Physio at work.After some feeling and bending etc he said it wasn't Tennis elbow but suspected it was neck related!I have no pain whatsoever in my neck.
    After a thorough poke and prod with me face down on his table we think we've found the problem.He did say what it was but I can't remember.He did a good massage around the area and has given me some exercise to do once a day at home.
    It feels better after only three days I'm going to be going for weekly sessions with him and have stopped taking the Ibuprofen.
    GPs just seem so eager to get you in and out(not their fault I know)but I could've been taking Ibuprofen for months without it really helping

No Netball this wk end then Boxy

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    He did say what it was but I can't remember.
    Well that isn't a great deal of use is it?Which part of you body would be a good start - neck, shoulder, elbow still?!

After I fractured my shoulder blades I could do barely anything but mostly I couldn't lift even a cup or food to my mouth. It was probably injury to the infraspinatous muscle and tendon but there was so much damage it was difficult to tie it down to one thing. I did however find that by initially moving my arm backwards and then swinging my hand in a big arc above my head before lowering it to my mouth I could drink a beer - very important on a ski trip! It did look a bit weird to an uninitiated onlooker though.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Base of my neck,about 25mm to the left.As soon as he got to that area I felt a really hot pain.
    I’ll ask him on Tuesday.
    It seems wearing an elbow brace for the last 5/6 weeks has been pretty much useless

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Good for holding a pint though!!!!
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!