Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GT

GT

So G has signed a new three year deal with Team Sky.
    I never thought there was any chance of him going elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how he and Froome co-lead.

1) CF and GT get to participate in different events (eg. Froome leads Giro, Thomas leads the Tour)
    2) they both participate in the same events but change alternate leadership
    3) the leadership is decided on the day depending who is feeling fresher but I don't suppose they would be competing with each other. They would have to hide their egos for it to work for the team.

3 seemed to work well this year.

I think Froome will go for TDF 5 next year and possibly 6.G may well lead the Giro.
    After that who knows but as was obvious from this years TDF Chris and Geraint seem to get on a lot better than Chris and Bradley I can’t see egos getting in the way from either side.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The way Sky are going they could have different people going for GC on each Main Tour.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

A reported 3.5m salary might have swayed his decision!

He may have got outright leadership in another team but would he have the support to help him pull it off? How many times have we seen riders go to another team from Sky with this idea and fail: Ritchie Porte, Mikel Landa, Rigoberto Uran to name just 3. Even Kwiatkowski has crumbled given at least joint leadership in la Vuela when he was often last man standing when helping Froome.

I think G will be happy to have the odd pop at a grand your, he's too old to be breaking records for the number he can win so I can see Froome going for 6 then handing over to G who should have at least one more tour in him at 35 which he will be then, meanwhile he an add il Giro and La Vuelta to his palmares.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    The way Sky are going they could have different people going for GC on each Main Tour.
    That will make them even more popular than they already are

I'd have liked to see G on another team - but when all's said and done, it's a job - and he's got a 3 year contract with a good salary and knows where he stands. Better the devil you know!

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    A reported 3.5m salary might have swayed his decision!

He may have got outright leadership in another team but would he have the support to help him pull it off? How many times have we seen riders go to another team from Sky with this idea and fail: Ritchie Porte, Mikel Landa, Rigoberto Uran to name just 3. Even Kwiatkowski has crumbled given at least joint leadership in la Vuela when he was often last man standing when helping Froome.

I think G will be happy to have the odd pop at a grand your, he's too old to be breaking records for the number he can win so I can see Froome going for 6 then handing over to G who should have at least one more tour in him at 35 which he will be then, meanwhile he an add il Giro and La Vuelta to his palmares.
    Yup. 3.5m salary would have me signing on the dotted...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

That will make them even more popular than they already are
    Yup: G for il Giro, Froome for la Tour and Bernal or G for la Vuelta next year. Then TGH will be coming of age and the next great British hope.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.