Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long would you keep your inner tubes??

Changing my tyres today after 3 years puncture free....

question is would you keep the same ' lucky inner tubes'... or change to new ones??
    as the tyres the inner are 3 years old too....I'm leaning towards staying with the luckys...lol

Keep 'em - they don't really degrade.

I don't change them until I've had 2-3 punctures then I ditch them as new ones are so cheap and I figure that the risk of a patch coming unstuck exceeds the risk of a fresh puncture at that point. I have a drawer full of unused tubes some of which are 10 years old or more and they show no sign of degradation.

Of course you could go tubeless so it is not a consideration. My love affair with tubeless continues. One puncture only still from a cut form a rock in the road which self sealed then I permanently fixed with a Genuine Innovations repair kit - took all of 10 seconds (apologies if I've already eulogised about that). You're supposed to check the tyre for sealant periodically, more after a period of hot dry weather, so I'm planning to do that this weekend as how long it lasts is still a bit of an unknown quantity to me.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I'm surprised CB ...Didnt think anyone bothers fixing punctures except in emergences , my way of thinking is the pressure is so high ( 110psi) that the patch will fail....I always put a new tube in if I have it...oooh I feel all posh now

Quote Originally Posted by OETKB-YENTC View Post
    Keep 'em - they don't really degrade.
    Never knew this...I suppose it makes sense as it's not really exposed to much.

cheers guys

My tubes have been in since 2014.Ill change them if they puncture.I take a spare tube and would just change it roadside then patch it at home.

So I've done the change....but when putting in the inner I found it had stretched to about 1.5' too long...it's all in not twisted but sort of z shaped.
    ive pumped the tyres up to 110....all seems good...should I be worried??

Yes. There should be no kinks at all in the tube, a kinked tube will fail.
    When fitting the tube inflate with just a few puffs, just enough to give the tyre shape. Then go around the circumference of the tyre manipulating it as you go by rolling and stretching as if trying to roll it off the rim. You'll probably need to go three or four times around the rim to properly seat the tube, which you will be able to see as you roll the tyre.
    Last edited by Manglier; 16th September 2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo

Well .....I was going to change the tubes but then found out all my spares are 60mm valves...no good with 50mm rims, not enough to pump it up.

so I did my ride today with the kinky tubes...all good...but I've ordered some more and will change when they arrive.....turns out the tubes stretched to over 3in....got a pic
    Last edited by Boxhilljunkie; 16th September 2018 at 3:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I'm surprised CB ...Didnt think anyone bothers fixing punctures except in emergences , my way of thinking is the pressure is so high ( 110psi) that the patch will fail....
    A proper patch - by that I don't mean a self-adhesive one but one applied with the correct technique will probably outlast the tyre but when you've repaired it so many times there's patches on patches its gone a bit too far. I run my tyres at 80 psi or less so chances are even a poorly applied patch won't fail - I have self-adhesive patches still running years later.

...turns out the tubes stretched to over 3in....got a pic
    I have never had this problem - are you sure you're using the correct tubes and they're not cheapo Halfrauds ones or similar?!
    Last edited by coolboarder; 17th September 2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I'm surprised CB ...Didnt think anyone bothers fixing punctures except in emergences ,
    Aaaah - the throw away society and one of the reasons the planet is screwed. Why take the time to mend something when you can just throw it away and by a new one and keep the wheels of capitalism moving so that we all have a pension.

(don't take that personally Boxie because it's not meant to be!).