Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Aaaah - the throw away society and one of the reasons the planet is screwed. Why take the time to mend something when you can just throw it away and by a new one and keep the wheels of capitalism moving so that we all have a pension.

(don't take that personally Boxie because it's not meant to be!).
    You could go the opposite extreme like my mate who re-patched tyres until there were literally patches on patches and on one ride when he punctured even his spares were so patched he couldn't use them - didn't help they were so old they had weakened around the valve stem so that was leaking as well and he ran them at such low pressure he was getting pinch flats. He never quite got why he had so many punctures and when I suggested he bought a decent pair of tyres he answered it wasn't worth paying for them because he got so many punctures. When I sold him a pair of my wheels with Michelin Pro Service Course tyres his puncture rate when down from nearly one a ride to virtually none.

However for the sake of the environment Carla, you would be pleased to know that I dispose of my old tubes/tyres responsibly in the correct recycling bin at the local tip. Whether they ultimately end up in land fill in Poland I don't know but I've done my bit!
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Last time I replaced my tyres from the Bontrager fitted to the Michelin Powers, I noticed that the inner tubes were longer then needed and when fitted to the wheel had an extra length that had to be spread out over all the wheel so not to cause a fold over.

But my tubes were brought as a large batch and still are sat in the garage over 2 years later waiting to be used.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

And on the subject of inner tubes, beware of the valve chafing the tube over time when its coiled up in your pocket.

I fitted a new tube the other day at the roadside, only to note that it was already worn through by the valve! Thank goodness for sticky patches.

I now fit a little sleeve round the valve to stop this.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Tubeless solves all these problems!!!!!

Further to my post #3, I deflated the tyres yesterday and eased the tyre bead away from the rim. Still plenty of sealant left fluid so re-inflated easily with a track pump. 2 minute job and will check again in 2-3 months.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 17th September 2018 at 1:25 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Aaaah - the throw away society and one of the reasons the planet is screwed. Why take the time to mend something when you can just throw it away and by a new one and keep the wheels of capitalism moving so that we all have a pension.
    @Carla
    I have a pouch made from old inner tubes that I stick in my Jersey pocket got it here:-
    http://www.veloculture.co.uk/#
    Brilliant bit of kit!
    You can donate your old tubes even if patched.
    They also do a key chain made from old chain links......I've been doing that for years on my car keys!

I've found a really good use for glue-less patches.Some time ago we "lost" the little rubber igniter button on our Gas hob.We couldn't find a replacement anywhere so I stuck a glue-less patch over the hole as a temporary measure.Best part of a year later and it still works and looks OK too
    Last edited by ibbo68; 17th September 2018 at 3:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    @Carla
    I have a pouch made from old inner tubes that I stick in my Jersey pocket got it here:-
    http://www.veloculture.co.uk/#
    Brilliant bit of kit!
    Excellent - I like it.
    My key ring/fob is an old 11 tooth sprocket (v. useful with all the holes in a sprocket if you have a lot of keys) - but there's only so many key fobs a person needs and it's not much good for reusing 25 tooth sprockets!

Excellent - I like it.
    My key ring/fob is an old 11 tooth sprocket
    Presumably you've filed the points of the teeth a bit! Nonetheless it sounds as though it wouldn't sit in the pocket easily with keys in every hold. My main key fob is a medium carabiner with smaller ones for individual key sets which reflects my other love - the mountains, but my car ignition key is on a plastic image of a La Vie Claire jersey I got with an order from Prendas.

I like the idea of old chains so I might investigate that one.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

I like the idea of old chains so I might investigate that one.
    I just use the excess from cutting down a new chain.In my MTB days it also doubled up as spare links if a chain snapped

TBH the links I have on currently are 9-speed so useless as spares!

I’ve got several head bands made from old inner tubes! With the valve at the front covered in glitter. I look quite dandy!

Evan if my inner tubes survive punctures then normally the valve will leak. You guys quite fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I have never had this problem - are you sure you're using the correct tubes and they're not cheapo Halfrauds ones or similar?!
    Wash your mouth out sir!!...I don't buy cheap ...nah these are conti tubes..
    for some reason the pic uploaded isn't working for me