Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cervelo Soloist..... New frame v new bike v love what you've got

So I was in my LBS last weekend with my eTapped Soloist Team (2008) and one of the mechanics there started waxing lyrical about the old girl. The basic gist of it was that my bike is now a rare classic and really should only be ridden on those "extra special days", and never in the winter months. This surprised me a bit to be honest. I mean, rrrrrrrrrreally? But also got me thinking.

I have just dusted off my old mountain bike (first generation Giant Trance in less than mint nick) for when I go out on tow paths and int he park with my boy and the family, but maybe I should start thinking about getting a gravel bike for those rides and the winter commute. It does seem a shame, though, having spent on pimping my Cervelo to now not ride it. One of my work collegues suggested just getting a new frame and transferring all my components on to that and popping my Soloist frame in the attic for posterity, and riding my Giant into the ground. I don't really have massive amounts of cash to do either (or space for n+1) but equally I don't want to spoil my Soloist if what the mechanic said is true...

But I guess that's the point of this post really. Is what he says true? Should I be mothballing my Soloist - in the winter months, at least? Or was this some sneaky trick to get me to spend more dosh in the shop, and should I just ride my Soloist all year and enjoy it for what it is?

You went to a bike shop.....and got talked into buying a bike.....ha ha ha

priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    You went to a bike shop.....and got talked into buying a bike.....ha ha ha

priceless
    Zaccly

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Well if you need to hide the summer bike and lok for a winter bike - now is the time to do it. Sep is when the prices are dropped before the new models come out for next year.

I saved 2500 on my new summer bike last year.

Places like Planet X and Ribble, Wiggle and Evans have decent bikes for winter on sale. You need one that takes mudguards, as we have crap winter weather and the anmount of salt spread on the road will not do your gears and stuff a lot of good.

Or you can upgrade your MB and put on more road suitable tyres, mudguards etc and see how you get on during the winter on that, and then make a decision for next year if a gravel bike is required or not.

Personally - I don't ride the summer bike in the winter, except if its a really nice dry sunny day (rarity).
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

The Soloist is carbon... the frame won't be damaged by bad weather. Expensive components might, possibly, but they should be designed to stand up to the rigours of use. Bearings etc might need a bit of TLC, but honestly my summer bike which became my winter/turbo bike when I got a new posh bike has been absolutely fine.

Personally I'd run with use all year round, and wash down after the ride if the roads are salty.

Maybe consider some 'winter' wheels if you have posh ones on now as the bearings and rims don't appreciate the grit and salt.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I used my Canyon Ultimate CF through the first Winter but got a steal of a price on a Boardman CX Comp so that became my Winter bike.If the Boardman hadn't appeared I'd probably still be using the Canyon but give it the same after ride care as I would an MTB in Winter.

I've only got two and a half bikes.
    the half is a dedicated turbo...the roadie ( RB1K) is used all year round with a strip down every spring ....and my other bike is a fat bike..slow but funky fun

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I've only got two and a half bikes.
    the half is a dedicated turbo...the roadie ( RB1K) is used all year round with a strip down every spring ....and my other bike is a fat bike..slow but funky fun
    I couldn't resist the Boardman.Brand new,RRP 800 and I paid 250!
    I also got a Carrera TDF LTD for 80 brand new!!That's my Turbo bike The Carrera is too small really but hardly noticeable on the TT.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Planet X selling cross bikes for under 800 and under 700 - ally frame fully fitted out.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post

But I guess that's the point of this post really. Is what he says true? Should I be mothballing my Soloist - in the winter months, at least? Or was this some sneaky trick to get me to spend more dosh in the shop, and should I just ride my Soloist all year and enjoy it for what it is?
    No, it's a 10 year old bike worth very little, it has stood up well so far, sounds like a perfect winter steed to me, you like it and it works.

Yes that was a clever sales pitch IMHO, I dread going into my LBS because I know I will come away with a lighter wallet. Yesterday it was the new tarmac, I was within an inch of giving in, but must resist, must resist, the sales team are very good at what they do.