Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Eeerrrr, I am !!!

480Dracula_boobs.jpg
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Would never e bike me racer, but I'm semi serious of getting a de-restricted e MTB. Then I'd have two racers in the shed, or, if I can, Bafang my steel cloddy instead. That's if I can land the supply ship in a quiet inlet to avoid the euro weenie tyrant's and their lackey, the cucumber sandwiches vicar's daughter.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The thing with the ERacer - is that the assist is cut out at 15mph. Not much help for a KOM there then on the flats.

Have seen older people cycling past our lanes on E Bikes and they go up the little hills with ease, I suppose for the weekend tourist, they would be great as you wont have to fear any hills to struggle over.

Like the idea really, might indulge when I get older, to get the shopping from the shops after they ban my car for being diesel.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    The thing with the ERacer - is that the assist is cut out at 15mph. Not much help for a KOM there then on the flats.

Have seen older people cycling past our lanes on E Bikes and they go up the little hills with ease, I suppose for the weekend tourist, they would be great as you wont have to fear any hills to struggle over.

Like the idea really, might indulge when I get older, to get the shopping from the shops after they ban my car for being diesel.
    15 mph is plenty help on many climbs Vlad, the motor may cut out at that speed but if the rider then lowers their effort, the motor kicks in again and the rider can just rinse and repeat that till they get to the top. It's the chipped ones that a real issue with KOMs Vlad and not just climbs too. I've seen eMTB bikes whizz around at well over 20 mph - apparently some can go way faster than that too.

Quote Originally Posted by eliot coolican View Post
    ...Bafang my steel cloddy instead. That's if I can land the supply ship in a quiet inlet to avoid the euro weenie tyrant's and their lackey, the cucumber sandwiches vicar's daughter.
    Erm

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Erm
    It's eliot - don't question, just roll with it.

My views on Strava are well known, this is even more pointless - what is anyone trying to prove and to whom using an ebike to set records, its worse than doping - at least then it's still you own muscles doing the work? A huge part of the reason we (or at least I, and I assume most people who frequent this forum) cycle is for fitness, what's the point of using assistance like this? Maybe when I'm so old and decrepit I can't cycle to the shops unassisted I will get one but why then hide it to look like a real racing bike?
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    It's eliot - don't question, just roll with it.
    Check it out on the 'tube. It's a motor you fit to your BB when you have removed the chain set so is a mid mount motor that gives the e bike conversion some fudging balls. That's if you don't live in sodding europe or i'm scared of my shadow Mrs Prime minister please bring back the Lollypop lady so I can cross the road without having a panic attack blighty. With an extremely small b.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I've seen eMTB bikes whizz around at well over 20 mph - apparently some can go way faster than that too.
    Bloke at work,52 Gym Bunny,is on his 2nd E-bike(MTB).He and his mate bought one each about 5 years ago.They were built by a company is West Yorks who also supplied them with all the info needed to "chip" them.Upgraded battery and "chipped" they'd easily sail along at 25mph(even uphill) with the rider pedalling a really slow cadence.
    The new ones they've bought are also "chipped" and with the newer technology they'll still do 25-30mph assisted but the Battery is good for 50-60 miles+ even on full(illegal) power,.
    Initially they bought them to help with the hills around here but both admit they rarely turn the motor off
    He reckons he could treble the current legal output(240W)if he wanted to with little outlay.
    There was a bloke in Holland caught earlier this year doing 100kph on an E-bike.Turns out it was pushing 4000W...over 16X the legal limit.
    The technology is already there to make these things faster than a Moped and it will get easier
    I hate the damn things.If it ever gets to the point where i can no longer ride I'll walk or get a proper motorbike.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 5th October 2018 at 8:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    My views on Strava are well known, this is even more pointless - what is anyone trying to prove and to whom using an ebike to set records, its worse than doping - at least then it's still you own muscles doing the work? A huge part of the reason we (or at least I, and I assume most people who frequent this forum) cycle is for fitness, what's the point of using assistance like this? Maybe when I'm so old and decrepit I can't cycle to the shops unassisted I will get one but why then hide it to look like a real racing bike?
    Ribble are not the first, and they certainly won't be the last to mass produce a road bike with a discreet motor. They're just giving some people what they want, at the same time as maximising their profits.

It just highlights the need by some to cheat. Some people will just do anything to screw others over, or to get an edge. Whether it be for their job, financial gain, sporting accomplishments, cheat on their partners, etc. The fact that some go to such lengths to get a virtual award does not surprise me either.

I like Strava, but unless they get to grips with the cheating, I think users will start to vote with their feet and find alternatives.