Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Bloke at work,52 Gym Bunny,is on his 2nd E-bike(MTB).He and his mate bought one each about 5 years ago.They were built by a company is West Yorks who also supplied them with all the info needed to "chip" them.Upgraded battery and "chipped" they'd easily sail along at 25mph(even uphill) with the rider pedalling a really slow cadence.
    The new ones they've bought are also "chipped" and with the newer technology they'll still do 25-30mph assisted but the Battery is good for 50-60 miles+ even on full(illegal) power,.
    Initially they bought them to help with the hills around here but both admit they rarely turn the motor off
    He reckons he could treble the current legal output(240W)if he wanted to with little outlay.
    There was a bloke in Holland caught earlier this year doing 100kph on an E-bike.Turns out it was pushing 4000W...over 16X the legal limit.
    The technology is already there to make these things faster than a Moped and it will get easier
    I hate the damn things.If it ever gets to the point where i can no longer ride I'll walk or get a proper motorbike.
    I think e-bikes serve a purpose, especially if someone is elderly or infirm and wants to get out and about more. That should be encouraged. It's the cheats and 'chippers' I can't stand.

As for your colleague, does gym bunny mean he's a muscle freak or more of a fitness freak? If it's the former, he made his choice by increasing his mass, so he needs to accept that hills are going to be harder work. If it's the latter, he needs to improve his fitness regime

It's crazy that Strava have had to create an e-bike activity section to encourage some users not to cheat on normal segments. What would be the point of bragging on an e-bike segment? My motor is better than yours so there

Fitness freak but then has an E-bike.I don't get it
    Thankfully he doesn't use Strava.

Yet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Yet!!
    He struggles with anything to do with computers and still uses an old Samsung flip-phone so I can't see him working out how to use Apps or Strava anytime soon

GymBunny is my hero. This gives you near 125 m/bike perf without the theft/insurance; rip me a new one please/ tax/petrol/oil/servicing charges etc. 15 mph limit will always be a chocolate teapot. I would love to have a hybrid/mtb or better still adapt my steel cloddy to match my racer or even exceed it for that near or m/bike speed without the aforementioned hassle. Sadly I doubt Bafang will ever be sold in the UK, and this makes me livid. I can get an alu e bike for just over £2K but I'm finding it hard to trust alu again as it absorbs stress but they have giant tires which may help. I don't have any problem separating my racing bike or if need be my cloddy from a serious e bike. They are supposed to be moped replacements in my book or at least transcend an MTB/Off road slug hound otherwise. I use my cloddy for the work commute with 28 mm tires at 110 psi which gives it an acceptable speed but I'd never get a non e MTB/Off road and now we can.

E-Bikes, hmm not for me but they obviously have a market and it will only get bigger. As for using on Strava, words fail me.

However, aiming for KOMs on any bike is ultimately a pointless endeavour as someone out there will be faster. That said, the couple I've got gave me no end of satisfaction, even though I know it was tail wind that got me them and there are definitely much quicker guys around. What does irk me though is those that purposely only target KOMs to the point of starting a "ride" right at start of targeted segment and then doing a total ride of say 5-10miles. Pretty obvious motive. Mine came as a result of a normal ride, I didn't know as don't have premium (or summit as now called) so only knew when home. Strava is good for me to track my progress against myself with bonus of recording rides for perusal using Relive and also following mates who ride. I do get a nice warm glow when I get a top 10, especially at my advanced age but really it's all bollocks.
    All the gear and no idea.

Not really bollox....as CB said....we are all here for fitness and using strava makes me want to work harder.
    every time up boxhill ( well nearly) I push myself to best Marty's time...I'm about 20seconds off it now....I know Marty will always be the stronger rider as his times on newlands corner, leith hill and boxhill are back2back all from doing the London 100... ..if ever there was a SUPER kudos....Marty would get it ....but don't tell him

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    New e-bike category ups the power to 1000 watts

Here is a write up on the new E Bikes from Holland that have a massive 1000w and even bigger 3 wheeler effort.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/new-e-bike-category-ups-power-1000-watts-396471
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Striving for KOMs in my opinion is bollocks although I do it myself as we are very small fry in a massive bowl.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    New e-bike category ups the power to 1000 watts

Here is a write up on the new E Bikes from Holland that have a massive 1000w and even bigger 3 wheeler effort.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/new-e-bike-category-ups-power-1000-watts-396471
    Surely that will need registration/insurance/License?
    Unless they're going to change the current laws?