Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    E-Bikes, hmm not for me but they obviously have a market and it will only get bigger. As for using on Strava, words fail me.

However, aiming for KOMs on any bike is ultimately a pointless endeavour as someone out there will be faster. That said, the couple I've got gave me no end of satisfaction, even though I know it was tail wind that got me them and there are definitely much quicker guys around. What does irk me though is those that purposely only target KOMs to the point of starting a "ride" right at start of targeted segment and then doing a total ride of say 5-10miles. Pretty obvious motive. Mine came as a result of a normal ride, I didn't know as don't have premium (or summit as now called) so only knew when home. Strava is good for me to track my progress against myself with bonus of recording rides for perusal using Relive and also following mates who ride. I do get a nice warm glow when I get a top 10, especially at my advanced age but really it's all bollocks.
    I'm not bothered about people being faster than me. Hope that doesn't sound wrong...I know there are many faster than me, but that isn't my motivation. A KOM is nice, but I think they're ultimately pointless, but for a different reason and that is the times are decided by the devices people use. We can all benefit from tailwinds, no traffic, green lights etc, but there can be huge discrepancies between how devices record the event. I tend to take my Garmin watch and Edge out on rides, and very few segments have the same time, and in some cases, the difference between the devices on the same activity could be a KOM and 100+ places further down the leaderboard.

I'm with you on the KOM hunters though. So many cyclists will amble about and just target segments for KOMs and then think they're the mutts nuts. I like to keep a good average speed and intensity up for the entire ride and I may give it a little extra here and there, but it's not as if I'm taking it easy before. My recent targets on the Tumble and Caerphilly Mountain were achieved after getting to the starting segments with an average speed of over 32 kmh.

Strava is good for keeping a personal record and seeing how you're progressing. I always like to look at the daily leaderboards too and compare myself against other local riders who I might know, or know of as I know they will be putting in a shift too.

For those wanting more; racing, or perhaps TT would be ideal. The times are recorded officially and it's a level playing field for all in that respect. Some bikes may be better, some riders will be better than others, but at least the clock will treat everyone fairly.
    Last edited by Nick1020; 6th October 2018 at 2:40 PM.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I would like to have the prestigue of having a KOM, but they are all taken by blokes/ladies far younger than me, so I'm happy with what I get when I ride those segments. Its a personal challange to beat my times on segments to get new PR's and if that means a top 10, then thats great.

This year has been about getting miles in and losing the weight, which has been achieved.

next year will hopefully be better for me and I should get rides with the club as well.

Although I'm only less than 4 seconds of a KOM on a local climb, I doubt I'll ever get to it, unless I get the wife to pace me with the car infront and a large windshield and an elastic bungee.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Totally agree Nick, the key metric for me is my average speed on a ride. I check with mild interest what max speed I got and HR etc but it's my average I value above all others which is probably a bad thing as it's only going to go one way!
    All the gear and no idea.

Wen't out twice today in heavy rain upon cloddy and realized my e bike musings would have prob short circuited; having a year long bike, though fairly heavy on the lube, is no bad thing. I guess i just wan't a new slightly lighter or different looking hybrid, having reached the limit on me racer. There's a nice confection in the new ribble range but I still don't trust alu, and the steel one is too like cloddy. If I can get two years guarantee on the alu, then maybe.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Why not go for the Ti bike.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/titanium-road-bikes/

"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Just looked up that Ribble Ti. Now that's a chunky old frame for Ti at 1700g. Planet X Hurricane frame is 1500g and costs less too, £500 + fork comared with £1500 for the Ribble frameset. Enve 2 disc fork for £400 (Evans) plus headset for around £50.
    Last edited by Manglier; 7th October 2018 at 1:10 PM. Reason: clarification of content

I guess I've reached the limit on serious bike spend, but if Ti came down to steel prices, which is never, i'd give it a go. I've never dissed Ti, at it's best it's 1150 MpA so should be safe. I'm really digging the new ribble hybrid, just ditch the mavic wheels at point of purchase and use my cloddy for the inclement days. It's very arty, so I shall hang it on the wall and use it sparingly as a summer day sparkler.

OBI-WAN will probably be along soon to take me to task but IMO Ti has had its day. In the past it was reasonable alternative to steel and aluminium but carbon can be configured to give whatever ride you want and the best steel frames are nearly as comfortable but cost a lot less for very little weight advantage. Ti frames usually have ugly welds as it is so hard to work with. The only selling point I can see for Ti is that in theory it lasts forever but who never wants to buy another bike again? - continually upgrading and buying new bikes is half the pleasure of being a cyclist!

On the ebike front Katie Archibald says in last weeks column in The Comic that she's going to buy one for pottering about.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.