Fitting mudguards (SKS raceblade)

Last weekend saw the first outing of the winter bike thanks to all the crap that had been blown on to the road. The clip on SKS raceblades which have served me well the last few years ended up giving me a few problems. Pulling out of a junction I caught the front guard on my shoe which moved it out of alignment and started to rub on the tyre (which after 20 miles or so of minor fettling and further rubbing has pretty much totalled the tyre). Having not paid much attention to them over the last few winters I was surprised to see that the mudguard was wedged under fork, offering good protection to the bottom headset bearing but allowing very little clearance.

Some research has shown that I don't think the mudguard should go under the fork and indeed there is a few mm clearance behind the fork and the leading edge of the mudguard. Does anyone else have these fitted and can offer advice whether this is right. Do I have an old model which fits differently. There's no way I can bend it to fit differently.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    When I had race blades the front guard was split in 2 and there was a slim metal brace that connected the 2 parts together.

That brace was what went under the fork and also connected to the brake bolt.

So the actual blade did not go under the fork.

Hope this helps.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    When I had race blades the front guard was split in 2 and there was a slim metal brace that connected the 2 parts together.

That brace was what went under the fork and also connected to the brake bolt.

So the actual blade did not go under the fork.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Vlad, I know the ones you're referring to but it's not them. I suspect I have an older model which has been re-designed because of problems with limited clearance under the fork. Going to treat myself to some new ones which appear to have a number of advantages in terms of adjustment.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Ok
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I had the short SKS race blade version 'old style' which i believe you're referring to graywdhse. I have recently replaced them with their latest version which are a vast improvement. The adjustment is much better.

Sorted now, figured out that the fender can be adjusted by sliding it back and forth in the two securing brackets. All makes sense now