Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasses.

Angry Glasses.

Why do Opticians charge so much and why is there so much difference between each?
    My prescription was due so I had an eye test 35 which is knocked off the price of glasses.Prescription has changed so new glasses needed.
    At this point I'll add that I can't get contacts due to my prescription so always buy nice looking frames.My prescription is high(+6.00) so I need to buy super thin lenses or I look like Mr Magoo and I need variofocals.

Cost breakdown:-
    Local Optician.
    Frames-190
    Lenses inc coatings:-355
    Total 545

Vision Express.
    Frames:-215(same frames)
    Lenses inc coatings:-395
    Total:-610
    On top of that it then cost's me 225 to get variofocal riding/sun glasses with transition lenses from Optilabs.

Two years ago I discovered an online Optician in London.
    Frames:-81.25(same frames)
    Lenses inc coatings:-130
    Total:-211.25
    So I can get my everyday glasses and sun/riding glasses for a combined total of 436.25

I can't believe they can charge 3x the amount for lenses alone!
    I showed the online quote to the local optician to see if they could get anywhere near it and the best they could do was 10% discount.
    Guess where my money went?

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Have you not seen the advert on tv for the glasses that cost considerable less including scratch free lens.

Its the sour face of our competition advert.

"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

That's where I've got my new and my last a pair from!
    Personally I can't fault them.

I just looked them up but they have nothing that fits me so I guess I'll have to go for a reglaze of my current specs. Bl00dy presbyopia is a real PITA. I never needed specs until I left the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Manglier View Post
    I just looked them up but they have nothing that fits me so I guess I'll have to go for a reglaze of my current specs. Bl00dy presbyopia is a real PITA. I never needed specs until I left the Army.
    Nothing on their entire site that fits?
    Do you mean fits your face or lenses?
    Can't you use Bi/Variofocals with presbyopia?
    Selectspecs don't just do the 6 glasses in the ad.

I got my eyes checked about 2 months ago....turns out I need reading glasses.
    the salesman was right up my arse after that..showing me 200 + frames etc...in the end I got 2 pairs from boots with anti scratch coating lens for 70..... and I got the points for my misses....so everyone was happy.
    i like my designer gear if it's nice but designer glasses are a rip.....I didn't get the cheap ones because of the price...I actually liked them better

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Nothing on their entire site that fits?
    Do you mean fits your face or lenses?
    Can't you use Bi/Variofocals with presbyopia?
    Selectspecs don't just do the 6 glasses in the ad.
    Nothing that fits suits. Everything that fits is square frames which don't go with my oblong face. Shame really.
    Been using varifocals for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Manglier View Post
    Nothing that fits suits. with my oblong face. Shame really.
    s.
    So why the long face?

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    the salesman was right up my arse after that..showing me 200 + frames etc...in the end I got 2 pairs from boots with anti scratch coating lens for 70..... and I got the points for my misses....so everyone was happy.
    i like my designer gear if it's nice but designer glasses are a rip.....I didn't get the cheap ones because of the price...I actually liked them better
    For reading glasses I agree.
    I have to wear mine all of the time so they have to be something that I like the look of and what feel comfortable.One of my pet hates is to see wearers with lob-sided or wonky glasses.I like mine to stay put and straight!
    I have used Oakleys for the last 10 years or so.Unfortunately I can't use Oakley Sunglasses as my prescription is too strong and Oakley don't let anyone else put lenses in their sunglasses.Their "everyday" frames are light,bombproof and stay put even when out running

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post

What if Rapha sold reading glasses?? hahahah