Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steel...?

My steel cost around 2.3 all in with chorus, deda etc, slightly more when I had to ditch the mavic for campy hoops, so no complaints then or now. It was jig fitted so not complete custom, but day long bimbles make it seem so. Cloddy covers the cart horse role and zips along ok, I might put a bafang motor in it to aid the speed, so all needs are covered. A hand build ( which it was) means you can't buy a better bike so it end's the search.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I'm not sure if St Johns Street Cycles, who sell the Thorn, are still making bespoke hand-built fames but mine was and the builder's identity is engraved in the BB shell. It was semi-customised in that I provided my measurements and they made the frame fitted with my choice of components - not quite fully bespoke but it kept the cost down. The frame is 15 years old but every component except the headset has been upgraded or replaced when broken/worn out and the frame was resprayed at Argos Cycles 4 years ago which is why it still looks as good as new. Almost Trigger's broom but the heart and soul of the steel frame is as good as ever!

Its odd as I feel the need to ride my Supersix as much as possible on nice days but almost look forward to a rainy day to have an 'excuse' to ride the Thorn. Incidentally the wheels on it (Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL) don't enhance the ride as they are quite stiff but with the Conti GP 4000 II tyres they are fast. For touring I'd put on a pair of handbuilt DT Swiss wheels with normal spokes which suit the characteristics of the steel frame better.
    I've not ridden a steel bike for years, I would be interested to try one again to see the legendary ride quality.

Feather (I think) do a 'made to measure' frame range, cheaper than the bespoke ones... i.e. they find a frame that fits you and its hand built, but not specifically for you.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

A mate is looking into a Moots Ti:-
    http://moots.com/bikes/#road
    Again bloody nice bikes

Lots to think about!

Another friend sold a Lightspeed Ti(about 15 years old) a few months ago but it was too big for me

Quote Originally Posted by eliot coolican View Post
    My steel cost around 2.3 all in with chorus, deda etc,
    Same price, same spec pretty well for mine but as said it was 15 years ago. As it stands it would be quite a bit more now, even not taking inflation into account, as it's got Dura Ace but with a Campag Record chainset, the Ksyrium Pro SL wheels plus the seatpin, saddle, bars, stem and pedals have all been upgraded.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 2nd November 2018 at 12:15 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Yep, my bike now is nearer 2.8K from the same shop with the same equipage. Had a Thompson seat post so no changes there, only replaced the chorus rear derailler which was smashed in a crash and new zonda's to replace the folded rear one in the same incident. And new brake blocks of course.

I showed the missus the Spoon yesterday.....she said it looks like any old bike....Philistine
    I'm going to give them a bell next week....just for a chat