Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Sportful Bodyfit Pro Long Sleeve Base Layer

Bought this Baselayer recently as I was gearing up for this coming Winter.

Wore it in a similar temp as I wore my jacket and old BL in the other day (around freezing) and I was too hot! Had to open my jacket and ride like that.

I run warm, usually don't run a BL with my jacket unless it's below zero. This BL is crazy warm, I thought all baselayers were born equal, turns out there is a difference.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-bod...?sku=100354012

Bought a Large, all my Sportful and Castelli is a Large for reference.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I wear Crane(Aldi) Merino BLs at work and they're very warm.Probably too warm to cycle in.
    I tend to use standard Synthetic BLs under Roubaix tops for riding or I overheat....and I'm a real cold-arse!
    Got a few HH/Berghaus/B-Twin/Planet-X and they all seem much of a muchness.

Got to say, only owned two BLs, this is the second haha. it could be age, but as it stands, the new Sportful is way warmer than the Craft one from Prendas. Was uncomfortable this morn, but then the temp rose quickly due to all that lovely sun this morn.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Have no experience of the wool merino business.

Tell a lie, just read this BL is a blend of wool and synthetic materials.

Just cycled home with it being paired to a summer jersey and BIB tights, was just right on the bod temp. Arm warmers would have been perfect but it wasn’t bad enough to stop.

Temp was 6c and it was into a reasonable headwind.

I have one base layer....merino wool and polystyrene ball mix....perfect for the nut sack shrinking winter that is coming

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Have no experience of the wool merino business.
    Merino wool is very soft and comes from a specific breed of sheep called Merino funnily enough.It’s extremely warm but some can’t get on with it.I like it but find it too warm for cycling.Perfect for walking/hiking.
    Never tried Merino/synthetic mix.
    Merino wool socks are ideal for Winter riding!!
    Got a free compression BL on it’s way to me.No idea what it’s made of until it gets here.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 31st October 2018 at 11:37 PM.

I use Merino wool baselayers for winter sports as one will last a whole week without getting smelly but not for cycling as they tend to get washed more frequently and merino is not happy being washed too often especially when Mrs CB puts it in a normal warm wash!! I am very susceptible to the cold but still find a synthetic base layer with a long-sleeve windproof jersey is OK for all but the coldest days then I might wear a second long-sleeved base layer under a brushed-fleece lined jacket if its freezing.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I use these long sleve compression base layers from Planet X.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXLSBL/planet-x-pro-365x-long-sleeve-base-layer

At only £7.99 - they are great, close fitting and very toasty and the price - well what can be said - for less than £8 - they are well worth it.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I suppose for a fair test, I should try one of those.