Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poppies

Poppies

There seems to be a lot of online insults and bullying towards people on TV/Sports people not wearing Poppies.There's been three such incidents in the last week.When did it become compulsory to wear one If someone wears one just because they're in the public eye and feels they should or have to then surely that's giving out the wrong message
    I myself don't wear one.I never have.I make a donation to the RBL old boys in the foyer of my local Asda every year but I decline the Poppy.It has nothing to do with lack of respect I just choose not to.I observe the two minutes silence,even at work and if not at work I go with my Daughter to the Girl Guides service and walk to our local memorial.No one has every questioned me for not wearing one there.
    Maybe there's reasons behind "famous" people not wearing one,maybe there isn't but surely it should be their choice either way?

Yes should be left to personal choice. I’ve been reading a bit about WW1 recently. It’s amazing how underprepared and out gunned British forces were at the start of both world wars. Also amazing that there were something like 300,000 volunteers in the first month after war was declared. They didn’t have enough uniforms and equipment for them all. The British army grew from 200k before the war to around 5 million. One company got an order for a million sets of webbing. How do you fill an order like that?

The problem with the twittersphere is that loons have been given a public voice. In days gone by, they would have to have gone to an effort to harass a celeb, now they can do it from the comfort of their mum's house whilst sitting in front of their laptop in their pants.

There does seem to be some debate about what the poppy represents; for me it is about a time of year to remember those who are touched by war (on every side), not just in the armed forces, and to hope that our leaders remember how quickly minor spats between factions can escalate into something that touches us all. But its up to individuals how they want to remember this, and folk should not assume that just because you don't wear a plastic and paper badge that you don't care.

For me, the two minutes silence on 11/11 is far more moving, and yet surprisingly few seem to take time out of their busy day to do that, probably the same who get on their high horse about the poppies.

There was even some bloke in a car locally who started beeping at a remembrance day parade because he couldn't get by.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

There was a photo on social media of an (alleged)EDL loon,stood in front of his mates holding the Union Flag,wearing a Poppy yet doing a Nazi salute

Now that is not only disrespectful but should be a criminal offence

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    As an ex member of Armed Forces I respect the Poppy and the 2 minute silence and remember those that did not come back from all conflicts right up to the day before - as its not just WW1 and WW2.

I also dont wear a poppy now - used to when In the Plods, but now I dont. I have a special enamaled poppy that is in my cupboard with my medals.

Its down to each person to wear one if they wish, as you say it aint compulsary.

I think a lot of people have forgotten the meaning of the Poppy and Rememberance Day. Despite recent TV programmes etc. The new film made into colour from the black and white cinifilm will be a good watch and might bring back a bit of the bite of what it must have been like for them.

The wife said yesterday night that it should be made compulsary for all children to go to the front lines in France and look at the place and the sites there to see what proud English men fought for.

I told her that unfortunatley, even though they might go, they wont get it..... and will still stab each other to death on their return to London or where ever for a bit of cocaine and or gang rights.

Shame really, but that's the way of the modern world. As a brazen young squaddie fully of it aged at 20 plus, we went to the Old German Camps in Bergen where there is nothing but large mounds of grass with a number on a concrete plinth infront of each mound. The numbers were in 4 figures to each mound. There were to many mounds to count at the time. We all left very sombre indeed.

Any way - as I sit here in my Pants on the internet at me house - have a nice day.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

The irony - all those people who've lost their lives fighting for our freedoms - and then some people insist that those in the public eye have to wear poppies.....

I wear a poppy in remembrance (don't get me started on the people who insist it's glamourising war - no you morons, it's in remembrance of those who lost their lives) and I don't care whether other people do or do not want to wear a poppy - it is their right in a free society to choose. Many choose to remember without wearing a poppy. In fact this utter silliness of e.g. everybody on Strictly having to wear poppies with their outfits undermines the significance. I also observe the minutes silence on 11/11 and Remembrance Sunday.

However, it is also my right in a free society to not observe a minutes silence for every other tom. dick and harry - sadly people die every day and people lose their loved ones every day and none of those people are any less important than someone who happens to be a sports personality, multi millionaire or whatever. There was no national minute of silence when my Mum died or when any of your loved ones died - and they're a damn sight more important to us than people we've never met who have never made any sacrifice on our behalf. And again, minute silences are bandied around so frequently that the really important one gets lost in the melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    The irony - all those people who've lost their lives fighting for our freedoms - and then some people insist that those in the public eye have to wear poppies.....

I wear a poppy in remembrance (don't get me started on the people who insist it's glamourising war - no you morons, it's in remembrance of those who lost their lives) and I don't care whether other people do or do not want to wear a poppy - it is their right in a free society to choose. Many choose to remember without wearing a poppy. In fact this utter silliness of e.g. everybody on Strictly having to wear poppies with their outfits undermines the significance. I also observe the minutes silence on 11/11 and Remembrance Sunday.

However, it is also my right in a free society to not observe a minutes silence for every other tom. dick and harry - sadly people die every day and people lose their loved ones every day and none of those people are any less important than someone who happens to be a sports personality, multi millionaire or whatever. There was no national minute of silence when my Mum died or when any of your loved ones died - and they're a damn sight more important to us than people we've never met who have never made any sacrifice on our behalf. And again, minute silences are bandied around so frequently that the really important one gets lost in the melee.
    Nail on head Carla. It absolutely boils my piss how some people try to guilt trip others to wearing a poppy, or by associating the absence of one with not being patriotic and/or showing no respect for the dead.

All those lives sacrificed, and the many more maimed and disfigured for life so people then, and future generations would have freedom.

I haven't worn a poppy for years, but I've never forgotten the sacrifices made by others.

It's one of those 'issues' that gets rammed down our throats without any trace of irony.

In some ways, it's fairly similar to what Trump is doing with the NFL players that kneel during the anthems. It has never been about lack of respect for their country, anthem or servicemen and women. Those that have chosen to protest have clearly stated it's about racial inequality, and the killing of black people at the hands of the police. Trump (or most probably, his nationalist buddies) jumped on it and used it to attack the protesters by claiming they were unpatriotic. The white nationalist base lapped it up, but fortunately, many can see through it.

Beto O'Rourke summed things up perfectly. This video is well worth watching:

He absolutely nailed it and I'd love to see him beat Cruz in Texas.

I'm not wearing a poppy because I've not been anywhere where they're selling them, I'm not going to make an effort, I would make a donation if the opportunity arises but then there are a million other worthy causes. I won't be observing 2 minutes silence although if I was somewhere where others were I would respect it. In short I don't need a stage or stage props to remember those who gave their lives for our freedom, I'm grateful for their sacrifice every second of every day. Equally I've never visited my parent's grave, their memory is forever with me.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I've brought two Poppy's in the last week...I keep losing them!!
    normally I buy one for my son to wear at school....and I have the other...I do wear one but it falls off ....I rode past the poppy factory in Richmond on Sunday !!

Iknow ive contributed....but there is no need to wear one if you don't want to .!!

ive also got a help for heros t shirt...army green with Union Jack on the front and the HFH logo on the back...my wife hates me wearing it...because she thinks I might get stabbed from the many Many Muslims that Live in London ...

i wore it today....still here...

back to the poppy talk...the internet has made a lot of nutters more vocal...and I get TV people get pressure but the public make them .....so abuse is part of the job title.....no one tells me what to

except my misses.

@vamps......what. Colour pants ??

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    @vamps......what. Colour pants ??
    Should be white, but getting greyish now and very baggy.

"Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!