Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    The normal shift is 2 x early turn - 0700 - 1500, 2 x late turn - 1400 - 2300 and then 2 x nights - 2200 - 0700 and then 3 days off.
    Thanks for this useful info. I'll now choose the time in between 2 shifts to do my shady business

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Thanks for this useful info. I'll now choose the time in between 2 shifts to do my shady business
    Your way to late for that - they have been doing that for years.

The other best time is during Refs on nights - 0200 - 0400 hrs.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

This is a new proposed cycle junction on a cycle route in Manchester with input from Chris Boardman.

Have a look at the junction and if you were a normal car driver and not a cyclist.... would you be confused with it. the answer is YES.

The RED traffic light on the route from bottom to top is located directly across the cycle lane - green path. So cars will stop at the light and therefore block the cycle path.

They have put the stop line some 10 yards further back (by the keep left bollard). Cars wont stop there, they will stop at the lightpost as per normal junctions.

Is it just me - or are people STUPID and have NO IDEA. Move the lights to the Stop Line.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

The traffic light position is a bit daft, but it looks pretty good otherwise. Surely that will be looked at before plans are finalised?

Not sure I'd use it myself though, as I would have to be going quite a bit out of my usual way

So if I'm a cyclist coming from the bottom of the picture and I wanted to turn right, instead of just moving across the traffic and turning right (giving way to oncoming traffic), I would have to potentially stop at the cycle lanes junction, potentially stop at 3 (or more, not very clear) pedestrian crossings) and potentially stop at 2 light controlled cycle crossings...... Hmm.

I'll stick to the road thanks.
    (though in this particular example, I couldn't turn right on the road - not that 'no right turn' signs seem to deter some motorists).

...and meanwhile they actually expect car manufacturers to design autonomous vehicles that can understand a junction like that!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    ...and meanwhile they actually expect car manufacturers to design autonomous vehicles that can understand a junction like that!
    If there's no fault in the design of this junction (ie. there's always someone with the right of way), this should not be any more difficult than a simple roundabout for an AI-driven car.

Assuming the rules were not faulty (however complicated the design of the junction) if there were only AI-driven cars/bicycles and pedestrian robots using that junction, I doubt there would ever be any accident.

The problem is when there's a mixture of AI and humans or humans only.

I can see the intent to try and help keep pedestrians and cyclists safer as junctions can be problematic, but that is going to ruin some segment efforts

It would be interesting to find out whether such measures do result in lower rates of incidents between vehicles and bikes. I'm sure they do in some cases, but I think many cyclists will just stick to the road as the cycle path isn't compulsory, and in some cases, like this one is likely to add time to one's journey.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    The problem is when there's a mixture of AI and humans or humans only.
    Yeah I agree totally...…

Perhaps if we took the people out of the equation - the machines might live a bit longer.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post

Perhaps if we took the people out of the equation - the machines might live a bit longer.
    I think it's a great idea!