Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happiness is a silent bike

For a few weeks now I have been chasing an annoying little rattle when going over rough roads. I could not induce the rattle in the garage it only happened dynamically and so was a pig to trace.
    Last week I retired my through to the carcass Schwalbe One Pros and replaced them with some Hutchinson Fusion 5s. As I spun up the wheel to distribute the sealant (yes I am tubeless) I felt a horrible graunching of the bearing. Old bearings out, new premium ones in, first ride today - Nirvana, silence.
    Note to self, if the front bearings have gone chances are the rear ones won't be far behind if you'll pardon the pun. I must strip the hub and measure them up just in case.

There's nowt worse than an annoying little creak or rattle It might just be me but it can spoil a ride if I'm constantly trying to pin point where one is

After last winter my winter steed was creaking and groaning like a good 'un. Gave it some TLC over the the summer -stripped and regreased bottom bracket and headset, cleaned the chain, jockey wheels, sprockets, and chainset as well as regreasing the chainset bolts.

Jumped on the bike - lovely and silent. Halfway round the ride - creaking and groaning again.

Eventually spotted that it was silent when I was out of the saddle so, took out seat post greased that and... totally silent ride.

Most of the creaks and groans these days come from me, not the bike
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    My Sunday best has always been a noisy bugga, quietens down after giving the drivetrain a spruce up then comes back on again. I just live with it, gives all the suckers I'm passing a pre-warning of my arrival =)

My crappy Trek is a lot quieter.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Chatty chatty bang bang....hey ho it's marty...lol

The only noise that comes from either of the bikes I use most of the time is the chain purrs a bit louder on the Supersix than my Thorn so rattle and squeak free at the moment. Oh, and the Cosmic Carbon rims scream like a banshee when braking.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I find my cosmic 's make a purring noise from the flat spokes.....and a bit creaking coz I need to change the bearing...ooops!!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Oh, and the Cosmic Carbon rims scream like a banshee when braking.
    I had this issue and solved it very easily CB.

Undo the pad blocks one by one and place a piece of cardboard under the rear portion of the pads against the rim.

Then retighten the blocks in the fittings. remove the cardboard after each as its not good to ride with it in place.

This gives a toe in and the squeal stops.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Well you would buy marvic, despite my countless warnings.