Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Winter..does it efffect your body?

This year in the warmer months I could sustain a goodish pace for 50 miles without blowing up...or feeling hungry

2 weeks ago me and a mate did the Nov gran findo...by mile 31 my legs went...and my pace went down by half.

today Richmond park....first 30 miles I was buzzing, it was cold and fresh, the sun was shining.. perfect weather ...I was loving it.....then the legs started to go, I was feeling starved too..making the rest of the ride a nightmare.
    so my quesh is

does the winter affect your body...does it need more food ?
    ok due to work I'm getting a bit knackered to go on RGT twice a week...but I do managed at least once...but only for the last month

No

I eat more in Winter,not just on the bike either.
    I take flapjack out with me on the bike and always have a sarnie at the cafe stop instead of/as well as cake!I think this is because I feel the cold more than I did 10 years ago....Lord knows what Iíll be like when I hit 60
    The food might just be psychological on the bike but it feels like it gives me a boost!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    You will find that you drink less - but need to keep the drink coming. As your not so hot you dont drink and you can become dehydrated and have a loss of form.

Also you need to eat to keep going as the body is colder and will be using reserves to keep the core warmer.

Tell you've never been skiing.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    This year in the warmer months I could sustain a goodish pace for 50 miles without blowing up...or feeling hungry

2 weeks ago me and a mate did the Nov gran findo...by mile 31 my legs went...and my pace went down by half.

today Richmond park....first 30 miles I was buzzing, it was cold and fresh, the sun was shining.. perfect weather ...I was loving it.....then the legs started to go, I was feeling starved too..making the rest of the ride a nightmare.
    so my quesh is

does the winter affect your body...does it need more food ?
    ok due to work I'm getting a bit knackered to go on RGT twice a week...but I do managed at least once...but only for the last month

No, as you use more energy in Summer when you body is trying to cool down.

Some factors to consider:

- in Winter months we train less (at least some of us) so you're not as fit as in summer.
    - in Winter you don't feel like drinking much during rides (and you should). This may mean that you're dehydrated and you don't know it. This obviously will impact your performance.

I don't know but I agree with you. It feels harder in Winter. Also, for me if it's dark/rainy, for some reason, I'm less motivated and put less effort. The moment the the sun appears on the sky, I seem to get a fresh dose of energy.

Ahh that's it tho Ports....it was loverly and sunny today...!!

maybe Vamps is right...I ain't never been skiing....also, but got kicked off for being naughty at school ,as it was a school trip/holiday .
    but I wrapped up just right today....and anyway I pretty much work outside so I'm use to the cold...maybe it's a old age thing...as I'm coming close to retirement now......

just 6 numbers away.....please god...let me prove to you I will be irresponsible with my cash

free bikes for all

In winter my Inuit heritage has kept me in good stead. Often I will stop and chomp on stuff like mosses, lichens, and ting.

All seriousness mate nothing hurts like a freezing headwind. Legs get all sinew like. Reactions changing gear braking etc all seem slower.

No; it always just pissing down with rain, or a huge headwind, or it's freezing.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by avoid paris View Post
    in winter my inuit heritage has kept me in good stead. Often i will stop and chomp on stuff like mosses, lichens, and ting
    pmsl
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Avoid Paris View Post
    In winter my Inuit heritage has kept me in good stead. Often I will stop and chomp on stuff like mosses, lichens, and ting.
    I thought he was French.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!