Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Cold weather will reduce your muscle power output, plus you will have more drag from more clothing, cold air is denser, and the tyre rolling resistance is higher. So all in all, yes, it feels harder work in the cold, and it is.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    You will find that you drink less - but need to keep the drink coming. As your not so hot you dont drink and you can become dehydrated and have a loss of form.
    Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    - in Winter you don't feel like drinking much during rides (and you should). This may mean that you're dehydrated and you don't know it.
    I really don't know where this myth comes from. Unless you're overheating because you have too many clothes on you will sweat less and will also lose less water vapour through your lungs because the air is colder, net result you do not need to drink as much. This is basic physiology. I will often drink nothing on a 2 hour winter ride other than the amount that contains enough energy drink to keep me happy so probably about 200 ml max - mind you I don't sweat much in the summer so don't need as much as is commonly suggested then either.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I quite like winter training, as long as it's not raining or the roads are wet, I'm happy to be out.

Timing is important though. I'm not too keen on being out when there's lots of traffic and the light is fading or gone.

I don't mind a headwind either. A lot of my routes will usually include a headwind or tailwind out and vice versa for the way back. Sometimes I'll do a loop which will incorporate a mix of everything. I'll usually try to keep the intensity up for the headwind as much for the tailwind. It's nice reward to look down at the Garmin to see me going at a decent speed into the wind.

What has also been good is I'm not using a chest strap at the moment. I've got the heart rate recorded on my watch, but due to the weather, that is usually well covered up so I don't look at that data until I get home. I used to look at my heart rate quite a lot when I wore the strap, but now I just go with how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I really don't know where this myth comes from. Unless you're overheating because you have too many clothes on you will sweat less and will also lose less water vapour through your lungs because the air is colder, net result you do not need to drink as much. This is basic physiology. I will often drink nothing on a 2 hour winter ride other than the amount that contains enough energy drink to keep me happy so probably about 200 ml max - mind you I don't sweat much in the summer so don't need as much as is commonly suggested then either.
    I will drink 2x500ml bottles on a 40-50 mile ride anytime of the year.Probably 3 in Summer.I drank 6x500ml bottles on a 60 miler on Mallorca and the same on a 105 miler here in the Summer. I always take 2 bottles regardless so tend to drink them.

You can certainly sink them Ibbo

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    We’ve been here before, but on events like TOC or RL, two large bidons does me. Can’t be dealing with stops.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid Paris View Post
    You can certainly sink them Ibbo
    I drink loads of water anyway.I used to take 3ltrs in my Camelbak on a 15 mile MTB ride.It was always empty by the end

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I drink loads of water anyway.I used to take 3ltrs in my Camelbak on a 15 mile MTB ride.It was always empty by the end
    That's it - we are not going on a pub crawl with Ibbo - he will drink us all dry.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    That's it - we are not going on a pub crawl with Ibbo - he will drink us all dry.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    3kg of ballast, why not! haha
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."