Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New to Turbo Training - help needed

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of info on how to connect my new Turbo Trainer to Zwift.

Being new to turbo trainers, I went and bought myself a Tacx Flow Smart from H......s (only £180 with my BC discount so I thought it was quite reasonable). I have downloaded Zwift and set up an account, but what I'd like to know is how to pair my turbo up to my PC? I thought that I would have everything in the box (being a smart trainer) but I'm guessing I need an Ant+ dongle???

Is that correct, and if so any recommendations?

Apologies for asking a question that's probably been asked a hundred times before but the Zwift thread is HUGE and I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks in advance guys/girls

Neilo

Quote Originally Posted by neilo View Post
    Hi All,

Being new to turbo trainers, I went and bought myself a Tacx Flow Smart from H......s (only £180 with my BC discount so I thought it was quite reasonable). I have downloaded Zwift and set up an account, but what I'd like to know is how to pair my turbo up to my PC? I thought that I would have everything in the box (being a smart trainer) but I'm guessing I need an Ant+ dongle???

Apologies for asking a question that's probably been asked a hundred times before but the Zwift thread is HUGE and I couldn't find the answer.

Neilo
    Yes. you do need an ANT+ dongle to connect. While it'd probably be possible to connect via Bluetooth, Ant+ is the most reliable connection. Any ANT+ dongle would do. ANT is ANT

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Yes. you do need an ANT+ dongle to connect. While it'd probably be possible to connect via Bluetooth, Ant+ is the most reliable connection. Any ANT+ dongle would do. ANT is ANT

Enjoy.
    Thanks Portia, I'll get one ordered. A bit disappointing that having, forked out for the trainer, there's more expense on top.

Still, if it gets me fit over winter...

Thanks Portia, I'll get one ordered. A bit disappointing that having, forked out for the trainer, there's more expense on top.

Still, if it gets me fit over winter...
    Oh, yeah. There's a massive difference between having and not having a Turbo over the winter.

I've got a Turbo saddle, but I doubt it will keep me fit over winter.

Hi All,

Neilo
    As Ports advised, you will need an ANT+ dongle. Wiggle do one for £20 which isn't too bad. You may be able to pick up one on eBay for less than £10, but it may, or may not work. You could also try looking on Amazon as you may be able to pick up a decent brand one for less than £30.

Depending on your setup, you may also need a USB A-male to A-female extender cable if you computer/laptop isn't close to the trainer. They're only a few quid from places like Amazon.

Have you got yourself a trainer tyre? If not, I recommend investing in one as it'll last longer than a road tyre and can take more pressure.

Also, and most importantly, when you have everything and you're ready to start training, you will need to calibrate the trainer. This needs to be done using the Tacx app and after you have warmed the tyre up for at least 10 minutes. All you need to do is cycle to 30kmh, then stop spinning when advised and the app will tell you if it's too tight or too loose. You can then make the adjustment and repeat the calibration until it's nicely between loose and tight.

Nick, out of curiosity, do you use a separate bike for your Tacx or you replace a wheel / tyre in your Ribble?

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Nick, out of curiosity, do you use a separate bike for your Tacx or you replace a wheel / tyre in your Ribble?
    Replace the tyre Ports. Got the technique sorted even with the most stubborn tyres

Edit: I have used my hybrid a few times on the trainer, but these days, I tend to use the Ribble.
    Last edited by Nick1020; 2 Weeks Ago at 1:15 AM.

Funnily enough, whilst on the subject of turbo trainers, I'm just setting up Road Grand Tours on the laptop. Its been installed on the PC for a while, but I haven't got further than having an initial look at it as yet. I've got a couple of free hours in the morning, and the weather looks to be crap, so I may have my first go on it.

Any routes worth checking out for the first ride?

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Why not just buy a new wheel (cheap one as it aint going on the road). That way its just a quick out and in job. Just ask Mrs Boxie

Hope you enjoy Zwift - it has its downs and its ups - but it helps with the fitness and is a good workout.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!