Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Funnily enough, whilst on the subject of turbo trainers, I'm just setting up Road Grand Tours on the laptop. Its been installed on the PC for a while, but I haven't got further than having an initial look at it as yet. I've got a couple of free hours in the morning, and the weather looks to be crap, so I may have my first go on it.

Any routes worth checking out for the first ride?

You'll see there are not many routes there - a couple of short, flat track-type of routes and 2-3 hilly ones. Do the Tuscany one (anticlockwise). It's a short route of 5.5 miles. Boxxy has recently had quite a few PBs there. It'd be a shame if somebody stole them from him or something. hahahahahah

What the heck is an ANT? Bring back Lp's and cassette Walkman's I say.

I've still got my vinyl from 88-94.... some proper choonz

Nick....as Ports said Tuscany is starting to be a good fav of mine....but I like them all....cap formentor is great also.....Stelvio is tough but its only just over an hour...so do it twice...ha ha
    just a shame Ventoux is closed due to high winds
    the only course I ain't done is flat German crit.
    canary wharf is pretty fun as the 200m sprint has a small climb at the end ...in all it's great ...it's still a bit quiet tho...and you can't chat

oh those where the days....remember the chats we used to have

As Ports advised, you will need an ANT+ dongle. Wiggle do one for £20 which isn't too bad. You may be able to pick up one on eBay for less than £10, but it may, or may not work. You could also try looking on Amazon as you may be able to pick up a decent brand one for less than £30.

Depending on your setup, you may also need a USB A-male to A-female extender cable if you computer/laptop isn't close to the trainer. They're only a few quid from places like Amazon.

Have you got yourself a trainer tyre? If not, I recommend investing in one as it'll last longer than a road tyre and can take more pressure.

Also, and most importantly, when you have everything and you're ready to start training, you will need to calibrate the trainer. This needs to be done using the Tacx app and after you have warmed the tyre up for at least 10 minutes. All you need to do is cycle to 30kmh, then stop spinning when advised and the app will tell you if it's too tight or too loose. You can then make the adjustment and repeat the calibration until it's nicely between loose and tight.
    Hi Nick. Thanks for the info. The calibration went okay over Bluetooth. I see TACX do their own trainer tyre so I'll order one.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Why not just buy a new wheel (cheap one as it aint going on the road). That way its just a quick out and in job. Just ask Mrs Boxie

Hope you enjoy Zwift - it has its downs and its ups - but it helps with the fitness and is a good workout.
    Good call. I've got an old set of wheels in the shed but will have to check if I've got a cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    You'll see there are not many routes there - a couple of short, flat track-type of routes and 2-3 hilly ones. Do the Tuscany one (anticlockwise). It's a short route of 5.5 miles. Boxxy has recently had quite a few PBs there. It'd be a shame if somebody stole them from him or something. hahahahahah
    Weather is not too bad at the moment, bit cold, but it's dry for now so tempted to hit the real road instead.

Boxie's PBs are safe for now

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    I've still got my vinyl from 88-94.... some proper choonz

Nick....as Ports said Tuscany is starting to be a good fav of mine....but I like them all....cap formentor is great also.....Stelvio is tough but its only just over an hour...so do it twice...ha ha
    just a shame Ventoux is closed due to high winds
    the only course I ain't done is flat German crit.
    canary wharf is pretty fun as the 200m sprint has a small climb at the end ...in all it's great ...it's still a bit quiet tho...and you can't chat

oh those where the days....remember the chats we used to have
    Yes, and that's another thing I miss about Zwift tbh, but not sure it's worth the subscription fee

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Congrats on getting a Tacx, let us know what your FTP is, guess it will be in the region of 250-300 straight off the bat =)
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Yes, and that's another thing I miss about Zwift tbh, but not sure it's worth the subscription fee
    Exactly. I know you always mention that cheating is rampant in Zwift racing. That is probably true. But if you take the whole 'racing' aspect with a pinch of salt and just focus on fun/banter, i'd say it is worth the money. I cancelled mine last month but the free but solitary rides of RGT are getting boring.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Just had the new £12.99 fee go out today, they better not put it up again! I do love it on Zwift though, thinking I may need a Taco Taco though! haha
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."