Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Congrats on getting a Tacx, let us know what your FTP is, guess it will be in the region of 250-300 straight off the bat =)
    I had to google the term to find out what it meant, so I guess that gives you the answer...

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    No problem, we are have to start somewhere.

Get it all set up, run any calibration exercises that you can so you get as accurate readings as possible. Then always have the setup the same, i.e. same tyre pressure every time etc.

Then go to 'Training' on Zwift and do the Shorter FTP test. This way you will have a base power output, from here you will be able to have Zwift tailor any training sessions to your given power. Also you will know what level of races or events you should be entering. Finally, you will then be able to repeat the FTP tests down the road and see how much you have improved.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

The reason I flippantly mentioned your FTP is because of an ongoing joke we have on the board about the iffy power readings people get from Tacx STs. Don't let that worry you though, won't stop you from improving your fitness and having fun on Zwift.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    No problem, we are have to start somewhere.

Get it all set up, run any calibration exercises that you can so you get as accurate readings as possible. Then always have the setup the same, i.e. same tyre pressure every time etc.

Then go to 'Training' on Zwift and do the Shorter FTP test. This way you will have a base power output, from here you will be able to have Zwift tailor any training sessions to your given power. Also you will know what level of races or events you should be entering. Finally, you will then be able to repeat the FTP tests down the road and see how much you have improved.
    Cheers for the info Marty. Don't worry about iffy settings on my part, I'll be the fat lad at the back as usual (which is why I bought the trainer).

You’ll be smashing it with the best of them after a Winter on Zwift!

Quote Originally Posted by neilo View Post
    Being new to turbo trainers, I went and bought myself a Tacx Flow Smart from H......s (only £180 with my BC discount so I thought it was quite reasonable).
    Neilo
    Ey up Neilo
    I have that very same Tacx and although a good ST for the money I'll just offer a heads-up.I'm on my third one(replaced under warranty).The cover on the Magnet is easily dislodged and can then vibrate and/or snap off.If moved/folded a lot this can be a factor in it's fragilely.
    As I said I'm on my third one and this one has been fine but I secured it with Duck tape straight out of the box
    Anyway scare-mongery out of the way......welcome to the World of indoor Winter Training
    It is boring,can be very boring but there are so many Apps/platforms to help with this that it's almost rude not to partake
    Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    the free but solitary rides of RGT are getting boring.
    Right chum....Thursday night,7pm Canary Wharf ...im suppose to be meeting a mate on there...who has just started getting back into cycling after a 2 year lay off due to health...we can all draft each other into the sprints.

we won't ever get to No1 spot ..so cheating fook has 'done in less than 2 seconds'.....yeah right...it takes me 23....must be taco power

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Right chum....Thursday night,7pm Canary Wharf ...im suppose to be meeting a mate on there...who has just started getting back into cycling after a 2 year lay off due to health...we can all draft each other into the sprints.

we won't ever get to No1 spot ..so cheating fook has 'done in less than 2 seconds'.....yeah right...it takes me 23....must be taco power
    Deal. Great! I'll try to get home back from work by that time - I might be late though. Don't wait for me, haha.

By the way, on my way back from work I'll be actually passing Canary Wharf

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I secured it with Duck tape straight out of the box
    Good info Ibbo, Thanks

I'll check mine and probably do the same

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Ey up Neilo
    I have that very same Tacx and although a good ST for the money I'll just offer a heads-up.I'm on my third one(replaced under warranty).The cover on the Magnet is easily dislodged and can then vibrate and/or snap off.If moved/folded a lot this can be a factor in it's fragilely.
    As I said I'm on my third one and this one has been fine but I secured it with Duck tape straight out of the box
    Anyway scare-mongery out of the way......welcome to the World of indoor Winter Training
    It is boring,can be very boring but there are so many Apps/platforms to help with this that it's almost rude not to partake
    Enjoy!
    Good call on the cover.

Think I returned my first one for that very reason, and the replacement cover worked its way loose too. I used an interlocking elastic strap to secure it since and it seems to do the job.