Government's proposals re cycling

The link to the actual proposal is in the article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46303370

The comment about the burden of proof is interesting. Didn't know it falls on a cyclist in the UK while in European countries it is the driver who is presumed to be at fault by default.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The burden of proof by a cyclist a new to me - never heard of that before in al my time in the job.

We always took the report and looked at the evidence from both sides and who ever was at fault got dealt with by what ever means. Basically - it helped so much as to who reported it first as they were then classed as the Victim and the other party the offender.

Works in all violence crimes as well.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I was aware if this - but never really sure exactly how it played out.

Perhaps it's more for the courts - the police role is to gather information relating to the incident and then the courts decide on responsibility etc.

These seem to be the key phrases

"In its report, the government also said it will "review how civil liability rules function" in the UK, and look at how other countries operate.

In other words, it will review how people claim for compensation when they have been in a road traffic collision.

Currently, in the UK, if a cyclist is injured following a collision with a car and wants to claim for compensation, the burden is on the cyclist to prove the motorist was at fault."
    It could be a fairly significant change - if they get it through (i'm sure there will be lots of opposition to this from the road lobby). If drivers know that if they hit a cyclist that they are very likely to be found to be at fault, it would make a lot more drivers more aware of, and more cautious around, cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by dickmarl View Post
    If drivers know that if they hit a cyclist that they are very likely to be found to be at fault, it would make a lot more drivers more aware of, and more cautious around, cyclists.
    On the other hand it could lead to more hit-and-runs.
    The close pass initiative doesn't seem to be working(still loads reported/filmed every week)and IMO was a bad idea anyway so any change in the law favouring cyclists will probably have no effect either.

You only have to look at some of the usual comments on Social Media on this subject...no insurance.....don't pay road tax....should have number plates....too many rights already...should be forced to use cycle lanes....

This country on the whole seems to be anti-cycling and this will only make it worse.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yeah, I agree, but when they all become electric powered vehicles at least we wont hear them as they run us over.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    On the other hand it could lead to more hit-and-runs.
    The close pass initiative doesn't seem to be working(still loads reported/filmed every week)and IMO was a bad idea anyway so any change in the law favouring cyclists will probably have no effect either.

You only have to look at some of the usual comments on Social Media on this subject...no insurance.....don't pay road tax....should have number plates....too many rights already...should be forced to use cycle lanes....

This country on the whole seems to be anti-cycling and this will only make it worse.
    If the close pass initiative became legislation, then I expect there would be a difference.

But yeah, there definitely seems to be an us Vs them mentality so any small steps aimed to preventing loss of life is likely to piss people off, which is just insane.

We've always been cannon fodder to the immortal line 'I didn't see you mate! and always will be.

I thought the basic premise of law is innocent until proven guilty.

Just because a cyclist is injured does not make them blameless. Presumed guilt of any group is a slippery slope.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Having just come back from a city break in Amsterdam, even having visited other Dutch cities I was not prepared for the number of cyclists everywhere. They were coming from every direction so even crossing the road as a pedestrian was confusing, many were jumping red lights and crossing junctions barely looking with impunity, it would seem unfair on any motorist to be assumed guilty when they were driving lawfully if they hit one of them.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 24th November 2018 at 12:33 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.