Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Velo-gone!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,555

    Velo-gone!

    This will please some of the locals (especially, the lazy, unfit type):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46304698

    So, I'm officially not going to be able to jump on the Velothon...ever!

    Oh well, I had my chances, plus I have pretty much ridden the route anyway, just not on closed roads and with some slight detours.

    Disappointing news though. It divided opinions to some extent, and some people were put at an inconvenience for a day which had the potential to hit takings/revenue, so in some ways, frustration was understandable. However, I'll never know why the organisers didn't move the route around between locations in Wales. At least that way, it eases the restrictions for some.

  2. #2
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Posts
    7,772
    Bugger - just as I was getting fitter.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

    God - why am I so great !!!


  3. #3
    Senior Member ibbo68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,056
    Obviously a money thing despite the number of participants?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Obviously a money thing despite the number of participants?
    Seems weird as it was very popular. Cardiff is rammed all day so local business, especially food and hospitality probably do well. Quite a few people used to go out and support along the route as well, so other businesses probably benefited too. However, the road closures resulted in quite a few people being unhappy and other businesses suffered.

    Perhaps it's lack of sponsorship and other local investment?

    I reckon quite a few people included with organisation and councils made a fair bit of money on the back of the previous events in Wales, but that is pure speculation and I have nothing to back that up with.

    I still can't understand why the route wasn't rotated, or made a UK wide thing? London is well catered for in terms of events, but I'm sure loads of other decent and suitable routes could be plotted around.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ibbo68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,056
    There's still this:-

    https://www.dragonride.co.uk/

    TBH I am aware of Dragon ride but wasn't aware of Velothon Wales until I read of its demise!
    Last edited by ibbo68; 24th November 2018 at 2:29 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,555
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    There's still this:-

    https://www.dragonride.co.uk/

    TBH I am aware of Dragon ride but wasn't aware of Velothon Wales until I read of it's demise!
    There's still a few Sportives in Wales, but the Velothon had a prestige about it as it was also a 1:1 UCI race as well, although it wasn't this year.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,460
    That’s a real shame, was a great event and I would have liked to have had another crack at it.

    Closed road sportives just don’t work in the UK- people don’t like the day of relative inconvenience just so some Lycra louts can enjoy a day on the bike.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

  8. #8
    Senior Member ibbo68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Closed road sportives just don’t work in the UK- people don’t like the day of relative inconvenience just so some Lycra louts can enjoy a day on the bike.
    As I said in the Govt proposals thread..

    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    This country on the whole seems to be anti-cycling and this will only make it worse.

  9. #9
    Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Posts
    7,772
    We should take over the Isle of Man, they are used to it every year for the TT.

    The problem we have here is that the orginissers usually try to do events in areas where there are specific memorial climbs and the richer and wealthy occupants reside and they "do not want the Inconvenience" of it all.

    Then the road system of the country does not help, as the places of beauty and rolling hills - have limited roads that can be used and hence can not be closed as its the only route.

    Can you imagine if they closed the roads so that the boy racers could race round all day in hyped up cars, smoking tyres and doing doughnuts - everyone would be up in arms protesting to the Police and everyone else of importance.

    We just have to accept that UK is not set up as the European countries are and the car first society we have is here to stay...… until petrol and diesel become obsolete.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

    God - why am I so great !!!


  10. #10
    Senior Member ibbo68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    We should take over the Isle of Man, they are used to it every year for the TT.

    The problem we have here is that the orginissers usually try to do events in areas where there are specific memorial climbs and the richer and wealthy occupants reside and they "do not want the Inconvenience" of it all.

    Then the road system of the country does not help, as the places of beauty and rolling hills - have limited roads that can be used and hence can not be closed as its the only route.

    Can you imagine if they closed the roads so that the boy racers could race round all day in hyped up cars, smoking tyres and doing doughnuts - everyone would be up in arms protesting to the Police and everyone else of importance.

    We just have to accept that UK is not set up as the European countries are and the car first society we have is here to stay...… until petrol and diesel become obsolete.
    Good points.
    The Isle of Man TT circuit has been on my cycling to-do list for a while.Ride it both ways as it's not that long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •