Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velo-gone!

Has anyone seen IMO probably the best utube POV vid
    Guy Martin v Micheal Dunlop IoM TT ...it's insane https://youtu.be/OmNXCJt7K3Q

According to Road CC Velothon Wales did not attract enough entrants to break even.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    Has anyone seen IMO probably the best utube POV vid
    Guy Martin v Micheal Dunlop IoM TT ...it's insane https://youtu.be/OmNXCJt7K3Q
    Being an Ex Biker and a mad one at that - Standing up on my pegs doing an Impersonation of a Lancaster Bomber as I rode across the Mohne Damn humming the dambusters theme as loud as I could - and racing around pulling wheelies through Gutersloh and generally racing throughout Germany, Holland and Belgium etc, on my 1100cc Honda CBX with 6 cylinders, Doing the Nuremburg circuit laps, I still never manage to comprehend how the Fook those guys raced at those speeds through country roads like that.

That's very impressive stuff. Better to watch it with a large fan on full into your face and get the other half to throw flies at your teeth. Then you get the true effect.

Huge fan of Guy Martin and pity he never quite had the right bike to make the final big step to top podium as much as Dunlop.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Love GM, what a smelly legend he is! IOM TT men have the biggest balls going, end of.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    That vid is utterly insane! I need to get out there, for the spectacle, for the vibes and for the no speed limits =)
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    That vid is utterly insane! I need to get out there, for the spectacle, for the vibes and for the no speed limits =)
    A few roads used for the TT course are "derestricted" ie no limit but where there are limits they are very strict!(if caught).My mate got caught(during TT week) a few years ago now doing 50mph in a 30mph and he got an instant ban and fine.As well as the fine it then cost him a fortune to have his bike transported to the Ferry port
    It was his first and last time going to the TT.

I always meant to go for TT week when I was riding but never got round to it.My Grandad and Uncles used to go regularly in the early 60s.One year my grandad had a silver Necklace pendant of Mike Halewood made for my mum which I now have.I believe it's a one off.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 29th November 2018 at 3:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    I still never manage to comprehend how the Fook those guys raced at those speeds through country roads like that.
    Because they're adrenaline junkies. In another sport they'd be base jumping, free climbing, wing flying, skiing down near vertical couloirs when a fall would mean certain death... they can never get enough, they don't feel alive unless they are pushing the absolute limits and always want to go further and faster. Maybe (like Cav says) time slows down for them so what seems impossibly fast to us is more normalised to them. Even the biggest nutter must make a risk/benefit analysis of sorts before they proceed.

We're all like it to a lesser extent - how many people can't understand how we can cycle with impunity on busy roads without a second thought because they're shit scared.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

it's all about exp and gradually building up your speed from yer teens, which is why many winners come from the IOM itself. Plus it takes yonks to know the course in itself. All the winners had a loong learning curve. Granted it's a very small puddle of interest/obsession, 99.999% of motorcyclists wouldn't have the chance to learn to be competent at speed on the course or even want to. There's a huge gulf between doing 200 mph on a multi lane motorway with little traffic and the IOM course, or the GP tracks and the IOM course.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

We're all like it to a lesser extent - how many people can't understand how we can cycle with impunity on busy roads without a second thought because they're shit scared.
    The difference is control... a biker knows where he is relative to his limits... the TT course in competition also removes the unknown of someone pulling out of a junction.

For us, yes I enjoy the buzz of a fast descent on my road bike, but I'd disagree with the 'impunity on busy roads' bit as on every ride there is an outside chance of not making it home because of a texting cretin, SMIDSY or somesuch.

And bringing the thread back on topic, the joy of the Velothon and other closed road sportives was no traffic.

But talking of near-death experiences, anyone else see this??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBJA8SlH2w
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    The difference is control... a biker knows where he is relative to his limits... the TT course in competition also removes the unknown of someone pulling out of a junction.

For us, yes I enjoy the buzz of a fast descent on my road bike, but I'd disagree with the 'impunity on busy roads' bit as on every ride there is an outside chance of not making it home because of a texting cretin, SMIDSY or somesuch.

And bringing the thread back on topic, the joy of the Velothon and other closed road sportives was no traffic.

But talking of near-death experiences, anyone else see this??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBJA8SlH2w
    I was getting butterflies in my tummy just watching that video! Besides the monumental error, I thought the pilot did really well in landing. it must've felt like forever for the guy holding on. Stunning scenery though

Interesting thoughts regarding control. I'm no thrill seeker by any stretch. I don't enjoy white knuckle rides, or even being a passenger in a car being driven fast, but put me on my bike on a clear downhill stretch in the dry, and I can't help but giving it some wellie. The difference to the white knuckle rides or being a passenger is, I feel in control. In reality, I'm just a failed bike component, or unseen road hazard from being in a far worse state than I currently am.

That said, I don't take any undue risks like undercutting buses and lorries at junctions. I've seen so many near misses of cyclists squeezing through the tightest of gaps on the left of a big vehicle at the same time the traffic starts to move.