Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Lads new wheels part 2.

Well after having his arse spanked in a Track/CX fun race on his MTB last weekend the boy finally came round and said he wanted a Cyclo-cross bike to race on
    I knew he'd eventually come back to it!
    Started looking on the usual,Ebay,Yorkshire Cycling sales and dropped on this:-

700c wheels,48cm frame,perfect.

Long old drive into rural Lincolnshire but worth it.
    New Bar-tape,Pedals and Bottle-cage fitted and it's good to go.

It's his 4th bike in 12 months......strange how the missus doesn't moan when I'm buying bikes for him......

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post

It's his 4th bike in 12 months......strange how the missus doesn't moan when I'm buying bikes for him......
    You can use that to your advantage when he is the same height as you

Nice bike by the way. Has your lad given it a test yet?

He had 10 mins on the Trans-Pennine Trail at the bottom of our road yesterday just to make sure everything is right.It has Shimano STis which he hasn't used since getting his Road bike with SRAM Double-tap.Didn't seem to be an issue though.

Lovely bike that (I like a gleaming white frameset!) and glad to see your lad has got back in to it.

Shame Dolan don't do an alloy Cross bike anymore, they have the RDX frame but it only takes up to 32mm tyres.

I wasn't sure about the White but he really likes it as it's a total contrast to his Black/Red Battaglin.
    First race this morning so we’ll see how it goes.
    Horrible wet day yesterday but a cold crisp day today.I’m not expecting much but at least he’s giving it a go.
    Picked up a set of unused Miche wheels with 25mm Conti-Ultrasport tyres for 60 via a mate so no need to keep swapping tyres for road rides
    Last edited by ibbo68; 16th December 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Success!
    Beautiful Winters morning for a spot of Cross.By the time the U12s took to the track it was well churned up!
    He had 4 or 5 offs(all due to putting the power on too soon in the corners)one resulting in his chain coming off but despite this he caught his mate up every time and actually pipped him at the finish.No idea where he came yet as the results aren't out but he loved it!

27th from 34.
    Had he not crashed so much and not lost his chain he would've done an extra lap and been in the group who finished 18th-23rd

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I blame his dad for not having a chain catcher put on the bike. - Just saying you know
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    I blame his dad for not having a chain catcher put on the bike. - Just saying you know
    I've been looking at vids of the K-Edge jobbie and initially it looks the biz....but thinking(or over-thinking??)wouldn't it just collect mud/crap and actually make things worse?

We've got one of these, seems to do the trick (no dropped chains since fitting)! Does the job, cheap and doesn't get clogged up with crap. Just make sure you get the right size for your down tub diameter.

Doesn't the K-Edge one only work if you have a braze on front-mech?