Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time

Paul Sherwen dies aged 62

Ahh,

Paul Sherwin has passed away.

Not mentioned on BBC websites.... but its on Cycling News and Cycling weekly.

No details of what ailed him but he dies at home in Uganda.

Loved his commentry with Phil on the TDF's - cant believe he did 33 years of commentry.

RIP.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/tributes-phil-liggett-david-millar-cycling-broadcaster-paul-sherwen-dies-62-401614
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

62,far too young.RIP.

Sent a shiver down my spine, that has. He was only a couple of weeks older than me! RIP

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post

Not mentioned on BBC websites.... but its on Cycling News and Cycling weekly.
    Oh yes it was.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/46422048

Very sad indeed, wasn’t their a commentator who pulled out of covering a tour this year??

Great shock. Who can forget those stimulating 30 min's TDF summaries on Channel 4 from the mid 80's. Got me started really. I'd had a year or two's lay off from cycling after me school runs before.

Quote Originally Posted by eliot coolican View Post
    Great shock. Who can forget those stimulating 30 min's TDF summaries on Channel 4 from the mid 80's.
    Yep that was what got me into the TdF etc. Didn't miss Phil Liggett so much when they dropped Phil and Paul from ITV4 but Dave Millar is no replacement for Paul's commentary on the French landmarks etc. And they'll always be the voices that I really associate with the TdF - bit like Murray Walker and F1.

I met him briefly in the mid 90's at a local cyclo cross event won by Roger Hammond. He just loved bikes, and spoke of his collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Didn't miss Phil Liggett so much when they dropped Phil and Paul from ITV4 but Dave Millar is no replacement for Paul's commentary on the French landmarks etc.
    Agreed with that but Ned Boulting is a good substitute, his perception and knowledge of the racing has improved exponentially and is impressive.

RIP Paul, as said he died far too young. Apart from the head full of dark hair (which is obviously dyed) he looks a lot older than 62 in the picture so I wonder if he was ailing even when that was taken. My morbid curiosity and clinicians thirst for knowledge makes keen to know what ailed him.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Agreed with that but Ned Boulting is a good substitute, his perception and knowledge of the racing has improved exponentially and is impressive.
    Oh I really like Ned. But Dave M has tried to fill Paul's role with info about the landmarks etc and he doesn't do it nearly so well.