Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Had right start this morning!

I have been running my old Michelin Power (Racey ones) on my daily hack, I had meant to buy some Conti Gatorskins to replace the junk that came on the Trey Domane. Alas, with insuring my car, updating all my winter clobber, Christmas, Poland trip to introduce bub to his very poorly granny... I decided that although I need new tyres on there. I would leave the Powers on there and see how far they could get me.

MISTAKE
    They failed me, went to the bike this morn and the back was dead. On the upside it could have happened on the commute the night before, but they did at least get me home. The wheels (Bontrager) for some reason are INSANELY hard to swap tyres on. Very nearly broke the leaver trying to take the Power off. I looked and the rubber has areas where the carcass is exposed so no wonder at this time of year one has gone pop. For the sake of getting into work, I reverted to the crap that came on there, budget company beginning with 'F'?! It was then just as hard to get said sh!tty tyre back on. All said and done, by the time I had got the bike back together and my hands clean, 30 mins had gone by, enough for me to have been safely at work by now.

Running late then got me caught out by the rain, which I wouldn't have been had I got in unimpeded. I then had a cyclist coming the other way turn off the road against me and very nearly Tbone me.

Then I had a binman walk out in front of me, had I not already figured there was a risk of this and slowed, I would have most certainly hit the plum, plumb on. His colleague then shouting expletives at me because I was at fault for cycling what he classed as too fast and nothing to do with his d!ckhead mate walking into the road without looking.

Got to love cycling on days like these! Rant ends.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Marty, have a look at this video for getting stubborn tyres on rims:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Previously to using the technque shown in the video, it used to take ages to get some tyres on the wheel. I'd sometimes end up using a lever to force it on which runs the risk of pinching the tube. Now it takes a matter of seconds. Plus, I don't even use the straps which the fella uses in the video. If you just work each side a couple of times like in the video, it won't take long to get the tyre on.

Absoutely pissing down here, so at the moment, I'm quite content being injured

Will check it, mate, normally don't have any probs, its just my Daily Hack that is moiiiiiider.

Perfect Turbo weather! Every evening I come to leave work and I dread it.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yeah second that - good video advice, have found the centre of rim depression very useful and been doing that for a while with the michelins on my Bonty rims. Also I found that warming the tyres up helps a bit as well - used to unpack them and sit them on the bonnet of the car in the sun for about 10 minutes before I started. (don't help in winter though).

The idea of lubing up as well seems a good idea - but not used it yet.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Ooooh common theme here. Bonty rims, no other rims have ever caused me problems. Ever.

Got to say, Ive not taken to the Trek or Bontager parts, the saddle is darn right painful sometimes. But I realise its only a cheap bike and not their high end stuff. The shock absorbing movement of the seat tube in relation to the stays isn't worth the paper its written on.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    …..The wheels (Bontrager) for some reason are INSANELY hard to swap tyres on. Very nearly broke the leaver trying to take the Power off.
    Being as I've found Michelin are the easiest tyres to install, I'd be glad they weren't Continental which I found impossible to even mount on Campagnolo rims. Sounds like Bonts are even worse, at least Michelin went on Campag rims with a struggle (notice the past tense there as I've done with Campag wheels).
    Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Then I had a binman walk out in front of me, had I not already figured there was a risk of this and slowed, I would have most certainly hit the plum, plumb on. His colleague then shouting expletives at me because I was at fault for cycling what he classed as too fast and nothing to do with his d!ckhead mate walking into the road without looking.
    Perhaps he was a mate of Heather Briggs' family. At least you had brakes!!
    Last edited by coolboarder; 6 Days Ago at 6:25 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Tad poor taste cb?

Oh dear, I want to put Gaterskins onto my crap bike

My zipp wheelset, I can pull a deflated gp 4000 off with my hands. My Fulcrum Racing wheelset however re balance this by being complete buggers.