Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Yeah Zipps are no probs with any Michelins.

My Fulcrum R1s were no probs either though.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Tad poor taste cb?
    Hence the 'roll eyes' emoji! It just highlights the stupid reaction of some members of the public that we can be riding 'too fast' when still well within the speed limit.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

When your tired of Campy, your tired of life. Me Zonda's, indisputably leader of the pack. Until the road's de dampen I'm cloddy bound. Schwalbe marathon's. Dem's der one, but not for racers sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    Hence the 'roll eyes' emoji! It just highlights the stupid reaction of some members of the public that we can be riding 'too fast' when still well within the speed limit.
    But why the need to mention a woman who died in an avoidable incident, or her grieving relatives or anyone associated with them? Or the fact that at least Marty had brakes? That's the bit I don't get, and think is both in poor taste, as well as being insensitive. I'm not sure if it makes it better, or worse that you used an incorrect christian name for her though? Her name was Kim.

Cyclists get enough grief over misconceptions such as what you mentioned in your following post, and I completely agree with that point. However, we also get judged on the actions of the classless scrote who caused a death whilst riding on the road on a bike not safe for that purpose...and then followed it up by having a go at her whilst she lay dying on the road.

The comment just seems completely needless imo, but perhaps I'm just reading too much into it?

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Is it the head injury - Nick cant recall.

But

Yeah - think your right on this one - regardless of what she did (right or wrong) - she paid the ultimate price and her family will be missing her this Xmas.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Talking of people coming out in front of you, I had a brown trouser moment on Tuesday.

1. A large Mitsubishi Pickup came out of a gateway without looking as I was approaching at 20 plus mph ,
    2. after I followed her for a bit, she then braked hard and I nearly went in the back,
    3. She stopped in the middle of the road to talk to some builders, waving her arm in the air pointing skywards for some reason.
    4. I stopped to ask whether it was safe for me to pass now, she looked blank as though I was a Martian.

I was cross, butd did not swear as she was small and blonde and looked a bit lost.

Marty, have a look at this video for getting stubborn tyres on rims:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Previously to using the technque shown in the video, it used to take ages to get some tyres on the wheel. I'd sometimes end up using a lever to force it on which runs the risk of pinching the tube. Now it takes a matter of seconds. Plus, I don't even use the straps which the fella uses in the video. If you just work each side a couple of times like in the video, it won't take long to get the tyre on.

Absoutely pissing down here, so at the moment, I'm quite content being injured
    Ah... what a nice video. Oddly relaxing. Thanks for posting. Sound principles too, will try it next time I have trouble.

For the record, I can fit Contis no problem to my Campag Shamals. However, contis to some Miche rims on my Welsh resident bike, that is another story. I had such trouble last time, that I literally howled with rage at one point, after about 10 minutes of huffing. To the extent that a nice lady in a nearby house came out to ask if I was ok.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

But why the need to mention a woman who died in an avoidable incident, or her grieving relatives or anyone associated with them? Or the fact that at least Marty had brakes? That's the bit I don't get, and think is both in poor taste, as well as being insensitive. I'm not sure if it makes it better, or worse that you used an incorrect christian name for her though? Her name was Kim.

Cyclists get enough grief over misconceptions such as what you mentioned in your following post, and I completely agree with that point. However, we also get judged on the actions of the classless scrote who caused a death whilst riding on the road on a bike not safe for that purpose...and then followed it up by having a go at her whilst she lay dying on the road.

The comment just seems completely needless imo, but perhaps I'm just reading too much into it?
    I agree it was not in the best possible taste and also agree that Alliston was a classless scrote who would probably have avoided a custodial sentence if he'd subsequently acted with compassion and shown remorse.
    I was using this to emphasise how the anti-cycling lobby used this incident as an excuse to pillory all of us when she was to blame for the incident: the fact remains if she hadn't walked into the road without looking when traffic had the right of way Alliston would not have hit her, brakes or no brakes.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    I agree it was not in the best possible taste and also agree that Alliston was a classless scrote who would probably have avoided a custodial sentence if he'd subsequently acted with compassion and shown remorse.
    I was using this to emphasise how the anti-cycling lobby used this incident as an excuse to pillory all of us when she was to blame for the incident: the fact remains if she hadn't walked into the road without looking when traffic had the right of way Alliston would not have hit her, brakes or no brakes.
    I'm not convinced she was to blame for the incident cb.

I've had to deal with hazards in front of me when I've been travelling a lot faster than the 18 mph Alliston was travelling and have managed to avoid them, but then again, I've always ridden a bike with front and rear brakes*.

One could argue that had it not been Alliston, it could have been a car or 7.5 ton truck heading towards her instead...but it wasn't, it was just Alliston, on a bike not fit for riding on the road.

The Met Police video showing the relative braking distances of a fixie and standard bike was massively flawed for a number of reasons, but take Alliston out of the equation and Kim Briggs not only lives, but avoids serious injury. So it's not as simple as proportioning blame imo.

There were initial reports that she was on distracted whilst using her phone at the time of impact, but CCTV footage reviewed in court didn't directly support this claim.

Whether she looked, or didn't look before crossing, you would hope that whomever was in charge of a vehicle heading towards someone would have the best chance possible to avoid making contact. Alliston didn't have that on the bike he was riding.

So, just as much as the anti-cycling brigade use this one instance to attack all cyclists, and it boils my piss that has happened. Especially when you consider all the cyclists and pedestrians killed by drivers, but this particular instance caused an unnessecary death due to negligence, arrogance and a scant regard for the laws of the road. That just adds to why I think you have made a misjudged comment.

*I'm aware I've recently come off as a result of hitting nothing but a greasy surface, but on the occasions when I've had to test my reflexes and brakes with third party involvement, I have been able to do that thanks to riding a bike fit for purpose.

Looks like your brain is back to normal activities again Nick