Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike build

New bike build

Going to be on the market for a new bike soon. I'm thinking that perhaps replacing my frameset and buying a new groupset and finishing kit is the best, and possibly, the most value for money way forward. I can buy the groupset with a 10% British Cycling discount from CRC, plus that may incude some of the finishing kit too. Plus the local mechanic at Halfords says he can order items in which can be covered with the 10% BC discount, plus price match.

How hard is it to put a Di2 bike together from scratch for someone who hasn't done that before?

There's a couple of people I could ask for help if it doesn't go to plan, but I'd really like to be able to get it done myself. I'm aware that Shimano provide detailed assembly instructions in pdf format, so following them will be helpful. Are there any specific tools I will need? I have a torque wrench, various allen/hex wrenches, cable cutters, carbon assembly paste, screwdrivers...although I don't have any bottom bracket specific tools, but probably can get hold of them.

Taking this route may mean I can upgrade my wheelset to a preferred option at some point soon too, so that is another benefit from sourcing the parts and building myself.

Not in a major rush here, as I probably won't be in a fit state to ride it till next year...and I probably won't want to risk riding in cold/wet conditions for a while longer!

Any help, or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    To make your life easier - why not go try SRAM ETap- the WiFi means that you dont have to worry about cables at all. Its so easy - just press a button and then press the gear change and hey ho they are linked for life - kind of like CB and his Mrs.

Also - the SRAM kits are greatly reduced at places like Wiggle and CRC.

I have both Ultegra Di2 and Sram Red E Tap - the operate differently, but I have to say the Sram is nice and easy to use. I can swap and change between bikes very easily and it only takes me seconds to get back used to the Sram after being Shimano all my cycling life.

Hope that helps a bit.

https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/sram-red-22-groupset?variant=822868321&dfw_tracker=977-822868321&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOfNqMmM3wIVk-FRCh2CKgAPEAQYAyABEgKHhvD_BwE
    Last edited by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp); 7th December 2018 at 2:37 AM.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Sounds like a fun project! What frames are you thinking?

As Vlad says, etap would be most straightforward.

The BB is the only bit I’d worry about, only because I don’t understand them at the moment... press fit, screw fit etc. Cutting the steerer might be an adventure too!

You would need to invest in an accurate torque wrench if you’ve not already.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Either Di2 or E-tap would be on my list too.I would also think about a bike-fit if you haven't already had one then build the bike around that.
    Building tends to cost more than buying off-peg but you get exactly what you want I've built my last four bikes(2 MTB,2 Road) and would go down the same route again.I enjoy doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    The BB is the only bit I’d worry about, only because I don’t understand them at the moment... press fit, screw fit etc. Cutting the steerer might be an adventure too!
    A lot of carbon frames have press-fit BB now.I would not entertain a Press-fit on a MTB but I've had no issues on road bikes.Very easy to do(like a headset) but only about 10 at your LBS if you don't want to try it.You can buy build or a press but if you're careful a block of wood and soft-faced hammer is just as good.If it is screw fit you just have to get the right type and it's as simple as screwing it in place(if you have a BB-tool).

I've never used a Torque wrench on any bike but that's just me.Most things are 5 or 6nm which is quite easy to do without a TR.(as I said I've built my last 4 bikes plus stripped and rebuilt them/many more so i'm quite confident without a TR.If you're not then use one).

Cutting the steerer is a doddle.Remember measure twice cut once.
    Or as my mate says,measure twice,then measure twice again then cut once!Always fit the fork and stem plus any spacers to double check before cutting too.I find it easier to fit fork,stem and spacers and mark up where to cut with the fork in situe.
    The main thing is have fun choosing and building and you do get a certain satisfaction when riding a bike you've built.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 7th December 2018 at 9:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    Sounds like a fun project! What frames are you thinking?

As Vlad says, etap would be most straightforward.

Was hoping to replace my 883 frameset but it's not available to purchase separately on their site. I sent them an email to enquire on availability and they replied to say...
    Unfortunately we do not sell our current carbon frames as a separate item. This is due to regulations in place to lower the amount of frames sourced from China/Taiwan being sold worldwide. This carbon ‘anti-dumping duty’ therefore restricts our sales of such frames.
    That has put a spanner in the works. May have a look on Planet X, but not sure if their frames will be subject to the same regulations. Was really hoping for another aero style frame, but if that's not possible, I may consider a SL.

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    To make your life easier - why not go try SRAM ETap- the WiFi means that you dont have to worry about cables at all. Its so easy - just press a button and then press the gear change and hey ho they are linked for life - kind of like CB and his Mrs.

Also - the SRAM kits are greatly reduced at places like Wiggle and CRC.

I have both Ultegra Di2 and Sram Red E Tap - the operate differently, but I have to say the Sram is nice and easy to use. I can swap and change between bikes very easily and it only takes me seconds to get back used to the Sram after being Shimano all my cycling life.

Hope that helps a bit.

https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/sram-red-22-groupset?variant=822868321&dfw_tracker=977-822868321&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOfNqMmM3wIVk-FRCh2CKgAPEAQYAyABEgKHhvD_BwE
    Cheers Vlad. Didn't realise CRC were selling etap at such great prices, so will definitely think about that.

Planet X do their Aero frameset from 499 which seems reasonable enough.

CRC are selling etap for 889...plus 10% off that.

Not bad so far. Decent wheelset and finishing kit should be able to bring the total price under 2k.

Good advice there Ibbo. Though despite measuring at least twice I managed to fit some curtains wrong the other day.

Nick- Is the 883 frame beyond repair?

Anti dumping... not heard of that in respect of carbon frames. Sounds like a tall story to me. You’d think they would supply one on a replacement basis.

Merlin Cycles have an Argon18 Nitrogen frameset on offer for 900. That is a bargain...
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Personally I’d steer away from Planet-X.
    I’ve had two(Pro Carbon and RT58) and found them to be very harsh.I swapped all the parts of my RT58 onto my Canyon and the difference was like going from a Lada to a Range Rover.All the bikes sold at Planet-X are Planet-X whether the frame says Battaglin,Holdsworth,Viner or whatever they’re just Planet-X.They just buy the name and stick it on one of their frames.
    (The owner of Planet-X is well known locally and likened to Mike Ashley.Not a particularly nice bloke or company to work for.)
    Last edited by ibbo68; 7th December 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    CRC are selling etap for 889...plus 10% off that.
    Just noticed that with that price you don't get the chainring, cassette and brakes. - You just get the levers, front mech, rear mech and batteries and chargers.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!