Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike build

Emailed them. Will wait and see.

Bit late to the party....but I get all my bikes this way, buy the frame and build them up to my spec/wallet.
    best way to learn how bikes work and how to fix...I keep telling my mate who can't do anything that's because he is middle class because us council kids had fook all so we did/ attempt to fix things ourself ...to which he protests he isn't middle class...ha ha ha.....he still can't fit a mud guard!!.

there is nothing more satisfying than looking back at your build saying

just saved myself a fooking fortune ...ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Boxhilljunkie View Post
    just saved myself a fooking fortune ...ha ha ha

Agree with what you said but is it really cheaper? I wouldn't think so.... unless you get all the parts through some incredible discounts.

I've never owned a computer that wasn't built by me. I've also probably built around 50 computers for other people but around 10 years ago I stopped as the computers were getting cheaper and cheaper and people were really better off buying an off-the-shelf computer.
    Last edited by portia; 8th December 2018 at 12:32 PM.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yeah, look at the price of the bikes in the sales - brand new aero frame, carbon 50mm wheels and Duea Ace Di2 for only £3000 or less - you couldn't build that for that amount.

Look at DVD players - only £25 now - the plastic case alone would cost that nevermind the workings inside.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Agree with what you said but is it really cheaper? I wouldn't think so.... unless you get all the parts through some incredible discounts.

I've never owned a computer that wasn't built by me. I've also probably built around 50 computers for other people but around 10 years ago I stopped as the computers were getting cheaper and cheaper and people were really better off buying an off-the-shelf computer.
    Good point, but there's a trade-off with off-the-shelf computers. Many have decent CPUs, half decent specced RAM and plenty of storage, but they're not always ideal for gaming as the GPUs can be fairly standard, or overclocking as the motherboard may not support it.

With a custom build, you're more likely to get exactly what you want, it may cost a bit extra, but it may be future proof for a little longer too.

I'm currently thinking about building a new computer as I haven't been able to play any new games for a while, plus I could do with a bit more zip for graphic processing.

Hmmm new bike or computer???

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    Good point, but there's a trade-off with off-the-shelf computers. Many have decent CPUs, half decent specced RAM and plenty of storage, but they're not always ideal for gaming as the GPUs can be fairly standard, or overclocking as the motherboard may not support it.

With a custom build, you're more likely to get exactly what you want, it may cost a bit extra, but it may be future proof for a little longer too.

I'm currently thinking about building a new computer as I haven't been able to play any new games for a while, plus I could do with a bit more zip for graphic processing.

Hmmm new bike or computer???

True but I think any gamers who need the latest specs would be able to either buy a dedicated gaming rig or replace a GPU unit themselves.

Out of curiosity, what kind of games do you play?

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I built up my Pinarello, it’s satisfying but as I was new to road bikes. I didn’t have a bloody clue what I was doing! Fitted it with a 53x21 ha ha.

Anyways, have some fixed it up to be more to my level and done all but the BB myself. Tube was already cut.

Second bike was a build as back then it didn’t come built up. Awesome picking out all the parts, probs not cheaper though even with smashing the deals, my V1-R cost silly money in the end.

Sram Etap is a no brainier in my book, dealing with internal cabling is massive ballache in my experience. It is an annoyance that I don’t trust myself to do all the work on my Colnagos, my mate and I had an issue once.

A good friend of mine has started a carbon repair business, can link you up with his webby if you want. He’s managed some impressive repairs!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I had the Pros build my Colnago.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    True but I think any gamers who need the latest specs would be able to either buy a dedicated gaming rig or replace a GPU unit themselves.

Out of curiosity, what kind of games do you play?
    FIFA, but think the latest one I can play on my current setup is FIFA 15. Black Ops 1 and 2, but unable to play any later versions. I don't tend to play the online versions as I end up getting my arse kicked by kids...plus, I don't like playing games that don't respect the laws of physics, so wall running and jumping ridiculously high are a no-no for me Also have GTAIV, EFLC and SA installed on the computer, plus South Park Stick of Truth.

I sometimes play on my lad's Xbox too, so things like FIFA18, GTAV plus The Division, which I thought was amazing. Looking forward to The Division 2. As with Black Ops, I tend to only play mission/story modes and I play till 100% complete! My son tends to stick to online only and rarely does the missions.

Not a fan of Fortnite. Watching players constantly jump around does my head in. Again, I much prefer realistic games where you have to look for cover to avoid being shot.

Regarding cutting the steerer tube, does this always need doing?