Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting form back after a bit of a rest

Due to laziness and other commitments, my cycling has been a bit neglected for 8 weeks or so, beyond the occasional outing.

I have started back on the turbo regime in earnest, and whilst I can finish the TrainerRoad sessions ok with power on target in the intervals, my HR seems a bit elevated for what should be a sweetspot session.

The right answer of course is to re-test FTP and reset zones, but is there some merit in just ploughing on as it is, on the basis that pushing myself will regain form?

As it was, my FTP when I set it 8 wks ago was already a bit lower than it has been in the past.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I don't know what the experts would advise, but I would've thought that taking it easy whilst fitness and the efficiency of the heart muscle improves is a good idea. There is probably an increased risk of damage, not just to your heart, but also leg muscles if you overtrain, or put too much effort in after a period of little, or no exercise.

I wouldn't be in a rush to retest your FTP, as that requires quite a strenuous effort. Perhaps after a few weeks of training with gradually increased efforts?

I reckon you should come join me on RGT ,
    my cycling has taken a hit recently , as I'm working pretty far away so by the time I'm back I have some dinner .....then pass out, I wake up and just knackered.
    the job is coming to a end tho normal service will resume....but I'm 400miles off my 5000 target ...josh damn it!!

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Me too, had been on target for 6000m this year, then July happened. So target now 5000 and I’m 400 away! Going to be tough with Christmas in the offing.

OP, get on Zwift and leave RGT to the pink fairy.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I'm just over 600m away from my target of 5000m. Most probably I'll do another 100 miles to get 4500 and there'll be it.

I've read that RGT has a bug that increases wear of your chain and cassette. Please stay away from it if you care about your bike. haha

I shall remain loyal to TrainerRoad and leave Zwift and RGT to you cool kids! (Because then I can tell you I have the FTP of Froome)

Went for an actual ride outside today. Went surprisingly well despite a 30kmh westerly and a flood so deep I was up to my ankles.

I will struggle to make 4000km this year so big kudos to messrs Boxxy, Ports and Wild. I’ve been very lazy!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Should make my 3000 - slow start and getting the fitness back meant that I have less miles.

Zwift has a new update - up to level 50 now and also the app has a new look and ability to arange group rides for all your mates - you can send them a request to join a ride you are planning later in the week. You all then ride together.

Did a decent ride on Zwift yesterday. 100 km and 25 laps of the volcano - I'm suffering today though.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

I hate to compliment Vladders, but that was a good ride!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Anyone know how many GB of data a Zwift session would be?

ETA: Googled
    https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-data-usage/

Basically 1.2 to 1.4 mb per minute.

As I have 20gb of mobile data per month that may be an option.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 8th December 2018 at 8:52 PM.

Tis a very good question, do wish you’d get on there and stop messing about.