Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Sky to remove sponsorship at end of 2019 :(

No doubt some people will be happy by this, Iím not though!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/46535894
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Indeed. Pretty seismic for the sport. It may at least release some pressure on other teams to match the salaries of the best riders.

I wonder what the legality of Thomas' three year deal. Mega break clause?

Sadly Team Sky became a tainted brand after Jiffy-gate and Inhaler-gate. Together with these commercially uncertain times, its perhaps unsurprising that the new parent Comcast decided to pull the plug.

It seems sky have turned their attention to Cricket. Yay. I would prefer to watch a wall of wet paint.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Team 21st Century Fox?

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Team RCUK, Team Taco Bandits? Let’s have a whip round!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

It had to happen sometime.It's been a long sponsorship deal anyway.
    I'm hoping they stay as Team Sky in all but name but it would need a big sponsor to come along.
    More likely is they'll disband with the riders going all over the place.Froome will probably retire as I doubt he'd get the same support elsewhere.
    We probably won't know anything definite until GT season.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I hear that Royal Mail are looking to take the lead sponsorship.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Doesn't surprise me at all, in fact it I would have been surprised if they had continued after the takeover by Comcast. That and the recent doping scandals it was inevitable.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 12th December 2018 at 3:21 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Just had this drop in my email from Team Sky:-
    Sky has announced this morning that its ownership and sponsorship of Team Sky will end on 31 December 2019. So that means next year will be our last year racing as Team Sky.
    This news will no doubt come a surprise to many people but, as you may know, there has been a lot of change at Sky recently. It is the start of a new chapter for the company and sometimes it is inevitable that change brings further change with it. That is what has happened here.
    Over the past nine seasons, Sky has backed us all the way, enabling us to achieve some amazing results and inspire millions of people to love our sport. Weíd like to thank Sky for all of their support, and in particular the opportunity to help Britain become a cycling nation.
    First things first, nothing changes for next year. Sky are fully committed to the end of 2019 and together we have ambitious goals for the season. We all want to close the Team Sky story with the strongest possible finish. We are more motivated as a Team than we have ever been.
    Very short and gives little away.

I hope that it doesn't just end there.

Movistar and Quickstep should be the models - they have been going for a long time under various guises.

I'm sure some of the other teams are licking their lips at potential roster improvements. Most Team Sky riders will improve the other teams in some way.

From a British perspective, it's very sad news. They may well have other backing in place, but will it be the same financial clout that Sky gives which enabled/helped Team Sky to get the best cyclists and set the highest standards in all aspects of preparation, training and racing?

From a racing perspective, it's potentially very good news for other teams and may increase competition, and perhaps entertainment.