Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoty

Spoty

Froome first Brit to hold all three GT Jerseys yet no nomination?!
    Eh?

So Thomas wins yet Froome who won 4 TDF and did the triple not a nomination. Carve up.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    So Thomas wins yet Froome who won 4 TDF and did the triple not a nomination. Carve up.
    Yup.

Le Tour trumps everything in cycling when it comes to the general public.

Would have split the vote anyway if Froome had been there as well.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    who won ??
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    who won ??
    See post #2 in this thread for details.
    All the gear and no idea.

Goodness, a nation of car polluters recognizes a peddler. Strike me dahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    The clue is in the P of SPOTY. Froome has no personality and the dodgy salbutomol test didn't do him any favours. Plus he's Kenyan but then Mo Farah is Somali so that shouldn't matter.

I was genuinely surprised, I really though Harry Kane would win despite the fact England only scraped into the World Cup semis. I think G benefitted from the Welsh and Arsenal supporters' votes.

Even more pleased to see the England netball team win the team award ahead of the men's football and cricket teams. Sky really didn't have a chance.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I still don't get the personality attacks on Froome. If anything, he has what, imo, is the epitome of personality and class.

He has edured endless attacks on his character, and all the while remained above the name calling and accusations that have beset those who have accused him of crap. That, to me, is a sign of real class and personality.

He comes across as a very measured, and determined man. Massively successful too. I think these qualities should be celebrated.

I agree the salbutamol didn't do him any favours, but nowt wrong was proved, and I'd still like to see other pro-teams and their cyclists dragged through the same mud, and in the same fashion and see if all comes back as rose-y....and more importantly as 4 times TdF champion-y as Froome! Let alone, his other GT wins, which are bloody impressive too.

As for comments that he's Kenyan, yes he was born there to British parents. I can't see the problem with that. It's not the result of some tenuous residency link you sometimes see in rugby. He is British, except he was born overseas.

As for Kane winning SPOTY. England did well in Russia, but still came up well short. We had a piss easy group too. Pretty much guaranteed to progress to the round of 16 even with a loss to Belgium. We won a penalty shootout though, so fair play in that respect (football's coming home..). The quarter final match against Sweden was decent, but that was as good as it got. Beaten by Croatia, and then well beaten in the third place play off, by the same team that beat them in the group. He may have won the golden boot, but where were Kane's goals scored...?

2 tap-ins against the mighty Tunisia. Hey, we needed them and he obliged. Right place, right time.

2 penalties and a very lucky deflection against the mighty Panama. Come on, it was a very lucky deflection.

Another penalty against the mighty Colombia.

Nowt against Belgium in the group stage which we lost.

Nowt against the mighty Sweden in the quarters.

Nowt against Croatia in the semis.

And nowt against Belgium in the third place play off.

You can't take the golden boot off the man, but a little perspective please.

Is that enough to win SPOTY? I'm with the public here.

G was a deserved winner.
    Last edited by Nick1020; 4 Weeks Ago at 2:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I still don't get the personality attacks on Froome. If anything, he has what, imo, is the epitome of personality and class.

He has edured endless attacks on his character, and all the while remained above the name calling and accusations that have beset those who have accused him of crap. That, to me, is a sign of real class and personality.

He comes across as a very measured, and determined man. Massively successful too. I think these qualities should be celebrated.
    ^^This

Apparently, 'a friend of a friend' has once ridden with him and allegedly Froome came across as an arsehole. I can't verify if it's true but even if it is, it's not about being nice. Froome has demonstrated so much grit and determination to be a source of inspiration for thousands.