Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roadies=Wimps??

Roadies=Wimps??

I don't know if it's since the dawn of the MAMIL but it appears that Roadies are becoming Wimps
    Been out this morning with the lad and the state of some of the riders was a bit embarrassing....Skullcaps/buffs/legwarmers/Longs/overshoes....even saw one bloke with his Buff covering his nose and mouth in a Highwayman-stylee.OK it was a bit breezy out there but it's 12degrees FFS!!!!????? TWELVE..not Zero or -12 but TWELVE!!!! I realise that some don't like riding in colder temps but come on 12degs is not cold!! I feel the cold more these days but even I still had Bib-shorts/thin gloves on!
    At least they still riding I suppose as I know a few who's bikes don't see the light of day Oct-Mar but half of them out there looked like they were about to embark on an expedition to Everest!I had to practically force the lad to put his LS Jersey on!
    Maybe it's because I spent the best part of 30 years Mountain Biking in all weathers that I'm OK with this time of year but it's really quite amusing at times.I'm sure it must be the "newcomers"(MAMILS) to the sport as our Club runs aren't full of riders wearing half a bikeshops worth of gear....even when the temps get down to freezing.
    I wore the Perfetto for the first time today and it was frankly too warm.Had I been on a 50miler with mates and not a steady 22 with the lad I think I'd have struggled!

All the gear no idea?
    More like all the gear and I'm going to wear every item of it as it's "Winter".
    I wonder how some would cope if it really was cold?

Yup, was out today in summer bibs, gloves. Admittedly a gilet and arm warmers but didnít need them.

Saying that, each to their own, nothing more miserable than feeling cold.

Still running the summer bike too
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    You can take clothes off if you get warm - but its bloody hard to put them on if you aint got them with you.

Normally in temps like this week - its the 3/4 tights and maybe overshoe covers if the floor is wet, and windproof l/s top and skull cap, as don't want to get a head cold.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    I don't know if it's since the dawn of the MAMIL but it appears that Roadies are becoming Wimps
    I think the exact opposite when I see riders out in shorts and short sleeve jerseys in the winter. There is nothing hard about getting cold, it is foolish, you risk injury especially to exposed knees. If you genuinely get too warm fine but don't criticise those of us who are more sensible. As Vlad says you can always take clothes off but you can't put them on if you haven't got them, just look at what he is wearing - you don't get harder than him!

Don't compare road riding to MTB off road - you are going slower so there is less wind chill and working harder and the trails that I ride are largely protected from the wind by tree cover.

I suffer from Reynauds Syndrome and my hands go numb below 15C without protection, I get chilblains and lose finger nails if I don't keep my hands warm so far from being a wimp I'm probably harder that you for going out in all weather whatever the temperature - I've been skiing at minus 40 C!

For the record yesterday when I started out it was 8 C, I was wearing a LS jersey with a short and long sleeve base layer, a windproof gilet, tights, overshoes, a Buff under my helmet folded as a skull cap and my trusty heated gloves. I took the gilet off after about 15 minutes. By the time I got home 3 hours later it was 13 C, at no point did I feel too warm.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:59 PM.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Turned into a cold headwind yesterday, and it was as if something had turned my engine off. A gel was soon absorbed and the recovery position was employed. (Look at crank). I’ve never performed that great when temps fall to single figures.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I see people massively overdressed, makes me chuckle as they stew in their own juices. Unusual for CB to stand up for the little man, but that’s explained by his self confessed weakness to moderate to cold temps.

I put it down to inexperience in knowing what kit is needed in what temps and further more, they probably aren’t too clued up on getting ‘actuals’ when it comes to their local weather over some shoddy forecast where the nearest sensor is 50 miles away.

Been crazy mild so far this winter, long may it continue!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Yeah Marty, but look at last Spring - how many feet of snow blocking our lanes.

I'll keep my head down for now and wait a while.
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    I see people massively overdressed, makes me chuckle as they stew in their own juices. I put it down to inexperience in knowing what kit is needed in what temps and further more, they probably aren’t too clued up on getting ‘actuals’ when it comes to their local weather over some shoddy forecast where the nearest sensor is 50 miles away.
    What makes you think they're stewing, maybe, like me, they just feel the cold and dress accordingly and are very comfortable. I would say inexperience makes people more likely to underdress for the conditions - they're the ones you see out in ss jersey and shorts on a cold day. Those I see 'massively overdressed' are not cycling for leisure they are commuting or just travelling locally.

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Unusual for CB to stand up for the little man.
    A little unfair Marty, Perhaps you'd like to give some examples.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    A little unfair Marty, Perhaps you'd like to give some examples.
    But he at least looks after the poor animals. (For a large sum)
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post

Don't compare road riding to MTB off road - you are going slower so there is less wind chill and working harder and the trails that I ride are largely protected from the wind by tree cover.
    Where I/we used to ride(Peak/Lake District) there was little or no tree cover.When you're 1500-3000ft up the wind chill is significantly higher than it is in the valley...being a Snowboader/Skier you'll know this The coldest I remember MTBing was a night ride and it was -9,according to the car,when we set off.After climbing and spending a couple of hours about 1000ft higher we all returned with gears frozen.Not sure how cold it was in the wind up there but significantly colder than -9!Now that was Skull-cap and buff weather!

I wasn't trying to be "hard" at all but pointing out that it's very mild out there and the overkill I've seen so far this Winter is a bit daft.You obviously need all the gear due to your condition but I'd hazard a guess that of all the riders I've seen there's only a small percentage,if any at all,who need all the kit for medical reasons

As I also said I feel the cold more these days but it's been nowhere near skull-cap/buff/overshoes weather yet.....and I have a shaven head!!!
    Going out with the lad tomorrow.Forecast is +4 so I'll take a buff for just in case my ears get cold and will wear longs.+4 is a fair bit cooler than +12 though.