Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roadies=Wimps??

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    A little unfair Marty, Perhaps you'd like to give some examples.
    Agreed - CB never stands up for the little man

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Not a dig, CB, you’re normally full of bravado, confidence and vigour. This is one subject where you’re more humble than usual.

For the record - I tend to agree with most things you say and believe we're similar in character.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Perhaps some cyclists use extra layers not just for warmth over the winter months, but also for protection in case of a fall?

I really don't enjoy being too warm on the bike, but as Vlad said, if you're overdressed, you can always remove layers and they're fairly easy to roll up and store in a pocket or saddle bag then carry on. However, being cold on a ride, that is in itself another issue altogether and is no fun.

It's subjective though. What one person deems cold, another may be happy with and the same for being warm. I've seen people more overdressed than me on a warm day and I just couldn't get my head around it. They may have been sweating their balls off, or they may have been comfortable.

I can happily sleep with the bedroom window open all year long, but the missus feels the cold. Stands to reason that there must be many cyclists out there who have their own preferences for comfort....plus also the inexperienced ones Marty mentioned who simply don't know better and have over/underdressed as a result.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Yeah, see that too, people wearing jackets et al in the Summer too.

It’s true people run at different temps, but don’t believe that explains all.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I think this time of year it's entirely reasonable for cyclists to be well wrapped up, I do however find it slightly odd in the summer to see people riding wearing tights, jackets etc then but each to their own. Utlimately the individual should wear what makes them comfortable not what some numbty says on the internet/cycle group/magazine etc.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I do however find it slightly odd in the summer to see people riding wearing tights, jackets etc then but each to their own. Utlimately the individual should wear what makes them comfortable not what some numbty says on the internet/cycle group/magazine etc.
    It goes without saying that it is not the season that counts but the weather. This is the first summer I can remember being able to go out early in the morning without a base layer or starting with a windproof gilet for weeks at a time. However even then there were days at the beginning and end of the hot spell when I was wearing full finger gloves, tights and LS windproof jersey or at least knee and arm warmers.

Below 20 C I will at least start with some additional protection and wouldn't dispense with a base layer until it was upper 20's - 30 C.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Even on the hottest days I rode wearing a base layer but then they are designed to wick away sweat and I found wearing bib shorts and just a short sleeve jersey uncomfortable. I found the mesh base layers good, super lightweight, comfy and did the job.
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1020 View Post
    I can happily sleep with the bedroom window open all year long, but the missus feels the cold.
    Opposite here.Missus always moans the house is too warm.
    We had a new heating system/Hive fitted in the summer and it's currently set at 22 degrees 24/7.I'm upping it to 24degress as the house doesn't feel warm enough
    If I can't sit around the house in shorts and a T-shirt comfortably then it's too cold.
    When she tells me to "put jeans and a long sleeve top on" I tell her I don't need to if the house is warm enough

I do like a nice warm house.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Opposite here.Missus always moans the house is too warm.
    If I can't sit around the house in shorts and a T-shirt comfortably then it's too cold.
    Mrs CB leaves the windows open and the door open if she goes outside and complains about the heating bill (she pays it as I pay for everything else) she then switches it off and its too cold. I have to say that I would rather wear a vest, shirt and jumper indoors if it means keeping it a bit cooler and saving money but sometimes its brassic.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I found wearing just bib shorts and just a short sleeve jersey uncomfortable.
    Did the straps rub your NIPPLES then Muffin.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!