Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Froome/Thomas - plans for this year

So Froome and Thomas will skip Giro (leaving the leadership to Bernal) and then they'll share the leadership duties in the Tour 2019.

While I'd personally rather Froome won TdF 2019, it's interesting how different the messages from CF and GT are. Froome's goal is clear: to win it, whereas GT just seems to want to show his face. I know that a lot can happen till TdF, but is GT saying it just because:
    a) they agreed with CF that CF will really be the one to attempt to win TdF
    b) GT thinks that his last year's victory was a fluke and he doesn't believe he's likely to win it again?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/5795/...T7wFilOXIcB3JY

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    *Insert popcorn earting emoticon.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    See you've got a cough by underdressing whilst out on the bike - get some Cavornia and wrap up warm next time.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    See you've got a cough by underdressing whilst out on the bike - get some Cavornia and wrap up warm next time.
    Touchť

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post

Are you feeling under the weather?

Sorry. Must have missed your thread.

My view is that nothing in Team Sky happens by accident; G had trained hard to be a GT contender. No one wins the TdF as a 'fluke'. His latest book is well worth a read actually, not only because it is a fascinating insight into the reality of stage racing and strategy, but it also shows that he is a very determined competitor. There is no way he's pitching up at the TdF not to try to win. The question is what support he will really get from TS and whether he will be free to race if Froome is only slightly ahead in GC.

What is also interesting is how comfortable G is with freelancing in strong groups in the peloton. Froome is at his best when he is sheltered by his team.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

And if a backer isn’t found, will there be much team spirit?

Good point... easier to get a new contract if you are part of a TdF winning squad. Though they may have to get used to less generous salaries.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    My view is that nothing in Team Sky happens by accident; G had trained hard to be a GT contender. No one wins the TdF as a 'fluke'. His latest book is well worth a read actually, not only because it is a fascinating insight into the reality of stage racing and strategy, but it also shows that he is a very determined competitor. There is no way he's pitching up at the TdF not to try to win. The question is what support he will really get from TS and whether he will be free to race if Froome is only slightly ahead in GC.

What is also interesting is how comfortable G is with freelancing in strong groups in the peloton. Froome is at his best when he is sheltered by his team.
    Agree with that PRS.

I think it's a master-stroke by Team Sky, or the cycling team soon to be formerly known as Team Sky. Can anyone see them not winning this year's TdF? If one fails, the other has a very strong chance of winning.

It does remain to be seen what support they will offer the protected riders. I'm not sure Sir Dave will be happy with Froome and G actively taking each other on with full on attacks, as that could backfire and open the door for others.