Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Second hand wheels... would you?

As title says... found some nice used 4 yr old high-end carbon wheels. Enve 3.4s. Still a fair chunk of cash, but a fraction of the new price.

Reasonably local, so could have a look before committing.

Is it worth the risk?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Gotta be worth a look at the least? Even then it probably still has an element of risk as you may miss a minor crack.

Has the person sold other cycling gear? If it's from eBay, I take it you've had a good look through any recent feedback. If it's Gumtree, have they been selling for long? If another platform, is there any way to check that user's history and/or reliability? Is there a payment protection option?

Does the seller use Strava? Can you check his usage of the wheels?

Probably worth a look though. Perhaps when you get to their house, you could determine if they come across as genuine or not?

There is a saying that if something sounds too good to be true it usually is. If they were mine and I'd paid circa 3K for them which I think Enve wheels are, I wouldn't expect any more that 1K for them at 4 years old even if they are virtually unused but if he's asking a few 100s then I would be suspicious. I'm not sure looking for a selling history would be that useful you can probably tell more by going round and assessing things: if he looks like a keen cyclist with shed loads of kit and has a plausible reason for getting rid of them then I'd feel reasonably safe. If its clear he's not I'd be very suspicious. However, I've never bought any bike kit second hand - maybe I'm lucky I can afford to buy new but I just don't trust anyone.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

My mate bought some Zipp wheels from a trusted source(or so he thought) purely to sell on.He buys and sells cycling stuff as a sideline as he only works part time and had been in the cycling business 25+ years so knows his stuff.He got the wheels for a good price and thought he'd make 3-400 on them.It was only when he advertised them that a potential buyer pointed out there were subtle issues with them.Turns out they were fake!Chinese copies.The mate he bought them from acted daft and said he's bought them online,brand new,as legitimate Zipps but admitted it was from a Chinese site.
    In the end my mate ended up advertising them as copies and they still sold but he lost out.I think his mate ripped him off and hoped he wouldn't get caught out!
    Moral is be very careful when potentially buying second hand parts!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Yeah agree, be carefull, not just of fakes, but thew fact they might have unseen defects and cracks as already mentioned.

If you are visiting the seller - ask if you can take them to your LBS for them to examine them before you bye.

If he is good guy, then he should allow you to get them examined.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Well unless you have a good relationship with LBS why would they examine wheels they haven't sold? You could of course pay said LBS for service but then it all gets a bit complicated.
    All the gear and no idea.

Friend has this wheelset and I’m not that keen. I don’t think there do anything more than 1,1.5k wheelset. Chris king hubs do look and sound nice though

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Thing is PRS, is that for the price of these second hand hoops - could you not buy a nice NEW pair of reasonable carbon hoops from the shops in the sales.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Thing is PRS, is that for the price of these second hand hoops - could you not buy a nice NEW pair of reasonable carbon hoops from the shops in the sales.
    True... I keep going backward and forward in my mind on this... the way I see it is that I could get an OK new set (which at this price point seem to be nothing other than OK in my view) with all the security that would bring, or a top end second hand set, properly developed from multiple yaw angles in the wind tunnel by an ex F1 bloke, with posh CK bearings that would cost 500 in themselves.

Happy to be proved otherwise if anyone's seen any interesting wheelsets in the sales for under 800. The best I've found is probably the Zipp 302. I started out wanting Hunts but then mission creep sets in as you go from under 800 to over 1k with tubeless tyres. I am also not sure that the Nitrogen frame and brake arrangement would take such a wide wheelset. The Gen 1 Enve 3.4 is a little narrower.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    True... I keep going backward and forward in my mind on this... the way I see it is that I could get an OK new set (which at this price point seem to be nothing other than OK in my view) with all the security that would bring, or a top end second hand set, properly developed from multiple yaw angles in the wind tunnel by an ex F1 bloke, with posh CK bearings that would cost 500 in themselves.

Happy to be proved otherwise if anyone's seen any interesting wheelsets in the sales for under 800. The best I've found is probably the Zipp 302. I started out wanting Hunts but then mission creep sets in as you go from under 800 to over 1k with tubeless tyres. I am also not sure that the Nitrogen frame and brake arrangement would take such a wide wheelset. The Gen 1 Enve 3.4 is a little narrower.
    You've sort of answered your own question.
    If you really fancy these then go have a look.If everything feels legit and you're happy then go for it.Only you will know if you're comfortable with the seller.Any doubts at all walk away!
    RE Chris King.I bought a 2 year old CK headset off a mate for my MTB.We fitted it in a Car park pre-ride with a hammer and block of wood.That was in 2010.Another mate bought the frame from me in 2013....it's still going strong.11 years for a MTB headset is good going.Top quality stuff!!