Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Just whacked some Conti Gaterskins 32mm on the daily hack

Went on nice and easily, feel rugged and heavyweight in terms of construction, not sure how much they actually weigh. But protection through the winter is what I was after. The 35mm tyres that came on the bike were useless, no grip at all. Used to be able to spin the rear on occasion, not even on a manhole cover. Utter junk!

My first set of Conti road tyres, used to love their discontinued 'Sport Contact S' on my old MTB daily hack. Hoping these Contis will be good as we head into winter in earnest.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Done a couple of commutes now, roll very smoothly, but feel slow compared to the Power Comps they've replaced. Worryingly a couple pf Strava buddies have come on and said theyre shocking when it comes to grip, you guys had any experience?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

My mate commutes everyday in all weathers and uses Gatorskins.He absolutely swears by them.I'll ask him but IIRC his are 28mm....not that it should make a difference.
    Last edited by ibbo68; 1 Week Ago at 11:24 AM.

Always been happy with the grip of my 4seasons, which I think are a similar compound.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

They went on to say, the 4 Seasons are far superior!

If you could ask him, Ibbo, what size he has, what pressures and if he thinks they grip well?

28mm
    80-85psi
    "Awesome" grip,his words not mine.
    Much of his commute(90%) is on the A61 which is the main route from the M1 into Sheffield from the North.So the road will have all the usual grime from cars/HGVs/Buses that a busy A-Road has.
    He rates them as the best all rounder for the job he needs them to do.

That is reassuring, cheers! Reckon I’ll give 70 front, 80 back a go!

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    That is reassuring, cheers! Reckon I’ll give 70 front, 80 back a go!
    Forgot to mention he's around 14st/89kg if that helps.

Use conti gatorskins all year round on the commuter - grips fine and they seem pretty robust - forever picking glass and flints out of them but only one puncture in 3 years (I've jinxed it now).

Carla wades in with the reassuring words of wisdom.