Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Slow puncture after 15 miles, initial impressions aren’t good!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post

I wouldn't worry, it's winter. Be faster in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    That'll be my fault with the 'one puncture in 3 years' comment. But thanks for taking that jinx for me

Wheeeeeey, Martin!

@ Carla - I did think that, have not bothered to take the tyre off and see if it's the fault of the new tyre or if its the old innertube that hasn't been used in god knows how long.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Personally I don't think the trade off for cost v puncture protection v weight/rolling resistance sells Gatorskins. They may be promoted as ultra puncture resistant but they are not as good quality as Conti 4 seasons and no more puncture proof despite being beefed up as you seem to have shown unless it is indeed a knackered inner tube. They may be better than a comparable mid range tyre but you get what you pay for. A better quality carcass trumps beefed up tyre with 'puncture proof' breaker any day.
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, its how times many you get back up that count.

I done around three thousand miles commuting on all seasons last year. And one puncture. Personally I find most Conti tyres have that plastic feel, slightly harder ride quality. This year I’m trying these and I’ll see how they fare. Great ride quality.
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pan...cher-Tyre/EZ65

Ive got some new tubes coming in that slightly larger size, when they arrive, I will investigate the cause of the problem. Mission objective of 32mm is very limiting remember people!

The bike does roll a lot better with big tyres, despite the naff Isopoint or whatever its called on the seatpost. Also I'm commuting gin pitch black, I think bigger tyres give you a bit more leeway with unseen nasty surprises.

I found they flatted quite often, so don't go near them now. I have very old tires on my racer, so they have aged kind of in a dark room for a long time and despite being a long way from say real racing tires give enough zip as I mainly use my cloddy. There is only one winter tire,and that is the Schwalbe Marathon. But their too heavy for racers. I might be able to fit 25mm 'normal' tires but no more on my racer. I don't know the answer to the oceans of ground glass on blighty and esp London roads without making your racer too sludgy. When I have to replace my racer tires I will expect punctures despite the brand and regardless of lightweight riders saying their fab online.

Quote Originally Posted by eliot coolican View Post
    I found they flatted quite often, so don't go near them now. I have very old tires on my racer, so they have aged kind of in a dark room for a long time and despite being a long way from say real racing tires give enough zip as I mainly use my cloddy. There is only one winter tire,and that is the Schwalbe Marathon. But their too heavy for racers. I might be able to fit 25mm 'normal' tires but no more on my racer. I don't know the answer to the oceans of ground glass on blighty and esp London roads without making your racer too sludgy. When I have to replace my racer tires I will expect punctures despite the brand and regardless of lightweight riders saying their fab online.
    I have Schwalbe Marathon on my CX and don’t particularly rate them.I find them draggy.I’ve got 32mm at 85psi and they’re slow.

That's what I said. I run 28mm on my cloddy at 110psi which is as good as it gets.