Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Testing FTP for training...

So, for getting an FTP number to set training zones, TrainerRoad used to use the 20 min test i.e Satan himself, or his b4stard son, the 2x8 min.

Both were apparently flawed as a means to set your training zones because they required proper pacing so they've switched to a ramp test. Advantages are its a less painful test so people do it more regularly, and due to the lack of pacing get more consistent results.

It looks interesting;
    https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/07/...-pb-hptek.html

I've not tried one yet as I've been using an old TrainerRoad version which does not include it, but I will be interested to see what result it gives compared to my last 8m test which gave a surprisingly high result compared to previous efforts.

What do you Zwift folk use?

Either way, what I find odd is that there is no way I could sustain 90% of FTP for an hour, a number which is supposedly '1 hr power'.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I've cancelled my TrainerRoad account but when I had it I tried the Ramp Test and it gave me a very similar result as the 20min and the 2x8min tests. It's much less taxing so you can do it more often.

I also don't think I'm capable of maintaining 90% of my FTP for an hour.

What do you mean the old version of TrainerRoad? It usually updates automatically.

I see Dan Lloyd of GCN using sufferfest to get back into cycling, any you lot tried it?
    All the gear and no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    I see Dan Lloyd of GCN using sufferfest to get back into cycling, any you lot tried it?
    You'd have to use sufferfest for that but as a concept the 4DP test makes sense.

Well yes, that was my question actually. Has anyone here used Sufferfest and if so any thoughts?

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    There two FTP tests on Zwift, both with intervals at the start. Designed to trim off the top end, like the aforementioned ‘4DP’.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Well yes, that was my question actually. Has anyone here used Sufferfest and if so any thoughts?
    Sorry, for some reason I automatically assumed you're asking specifically about the 4dp test. No, I haven't used sufferfest but the test looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    I've cancelled my TrainerRoad account but when I had it I tried the Ramp Test and it gave me a very similar result as the 20min and the 2x8min tests. It's much less taxing so you can do it more often.

I also don't think I'm capable of maintaining 90% of my FTP for an hour.

What do you mean the old version of TrainerRoad? It usually updates automatically.
    I am still running an old version as the new one I downloaded kept crashing my old Surface. I should reinstall it but can't find the new version on it to delete! IT is not my strong point, at all.

I have a new one now, but haven't gotten round to downloading TrainerRoad onto it.

Sufferfest 4D looks good, but a brutal test, even compared to the usual 20 min test... I did once try a sufferfest workout on TrainerRoad, which pretty much killed me.

Its interesting that the ramp test does not have the clearing effort up front but still gives reliable results. On the other hand, you will be anaerobic by the end of it presumably.

Are any of you guys following Dan Lloyd's 10 week plan progress? It will be interesting to see what he can achieve.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Are any of you guys following Dan Lloyd's 10 week plan progress? It will be interesting to see what he can achieve.
    Yep, I was very surprised he rode less than 1000km last year given his job. His current FTP is 247watts I think, he's hoping to get to 300 after 10 weeks.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    I'll be keeping abreast with it!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."