Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Couple of drive train questions...

After a filthy ride (ooh err) on salty roads yesterday I've given the bike a good clean and finally got around to fitting a new chain today. Two questions...

1) The jockey wheels are feeling a bit rough, should I replace them or replace the whole rear mech? The Tiagra 4600 mech still shifts really well but I'm tempted to upgrade to an old 10 speed 5700 if I can still find one. I don't believe the Tiagra 4700 rear mech is compatible with 4600 shifters.

2) General thoughts on lubing a new chain? The KMC chain has some sort of wax which will squelch out a bit if you push the plates together. It feels a bit 'gummy' to me and likely to pick up crud. I'm tempted to rub a bit of GT85 on the out side of the chain but leave the manufacturer lube on the rollers. What do other people do?

Also, finally got around to fitting the Swiss Stop pads that Vlad kindly sent me. Looking and feeling goooood!

1. New jockey wheels - unless a mech is cheaper! The mech itself doesn't do much so should last for ages. Mind you, you may be able to just clean/grease the bearings. Have a look.
    2. Squirt. But if not, either degrease and lube or overlube and wipe off to remove the gunge.

Get rid of the factory wax on the chain...it's just a crapmagnet.
    GT85 is like WD40...the spawn of the Devil and has no place near any bike part.

Re GT85... I used some to lube a bearing in an air pump on my car. The bearing started whining again after less than a year, and when I stripped the part down I would see where it had washed the remaining grease out of the bearing. I used some spray grease next time, and all has been quiet now for over 2 yrs.

So, I would say its a good cleaner/degreaser for use before you clean it all off and relube properly, but not a good lube for anything other than temporary use.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

GT85 is a light lube so not good for anything heavy like an air pump. I used to use it on the chain and loved it - obviously it will wash off if it gets wet though.

Should've clarified the GT85 would be for removing the factory stuff. My preferred lube is the Shimano PTFE stuff (for the record I tried some muc-off wet lube this winter and it's awful, dries into a tar like substance).

I also swear by WD40 or GT85 on derailleur pivots after washing the bike. Seems to keep them running nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by graywoodhouse View Post
    I also swear by WD40 or GT85 on derailleur pivots after washing the bike. Seems to keep them running nicely.
    A friend of mine is a Bike mechanic with almost 30 years(dunno why pay is crap)experience.He currently works part-time as head Mechanic at one of our Halfords.Whenever they sell a bike they're supposed to try to sell GT85 with it.He goes through the spiel then tells customers not to waste there money on it

WD40 is worse as it's just a freeing agent/water dispersant....it also strips the lube from rollers on your chain.
    Good for getting glue residue of stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    A friend of mine is a Bike mechanic with almost 30 years(dunno why pay is crap)experience.He currently works part-time as head Mechanic at one of our Halfords.Whenever they sell a bike they're supposed to try to sell GT85 with it.He goes through the spiel then tells customers not to waste there money on it

WD40 is worse as it's just a freeing agent/water dispersant....it also strips the lube from rollers on your chain.
    Good for getting glue residue of stuff though.
    For a chain yes, but surely GT85 is fine on other parts of the bike - like derailleur pivot points as Mr Graywoodhouse says. It's certainly what I use for moving parts like that, and then Squirt on the chain.

I've never used GT85 and honestly don't know anyone who lets it near a bike!
    A spot of heavy Winter chain lube on Dérailleur pivots,GT85 washes away at the mere threat of rain!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I use it as a waterproof coating on the frame..... sparay on a rag and rub it in. Works a treat.

Best not to do it on the wheels though.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!