Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well who knew...Edge 810 live segments

Found out yesterday night that the Garmin 810 I've had for a couple of years can do Strava live segments! I can't believe I hadn't spotted that...

Anyone use them?

What do they actually do... podiums are generally out of reach round where I live due to some real keenos, drafting etc, not to mention the Tour of Britain passing through, but can you see real time where you are relative to your PR as that is of more interest?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Strava Live Segs are this....

When you are riding your bike on the local roads the Segments that you have starred on strava appear on the screen when you are several hundred meters away.

They then show the segment and your progress on it during the ride and then compare it against your PR.

After you pass the segement - it goes off your screen and back to your normal screens.

You must star segments on strava to see them on the Garmin and have the garmin updated for them to take effect. - Check the Garmin updates on Garmin express - very small update.

This will help you...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...egments-188811
    Last edited by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp); 4 Weeks Ago at 12:00 PM.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

And you need Strava Premium or whatever it's called these days to see them.
    All the gear and no idea.

I used to use them, but find them a bit of a distraction tbh. May be useful if segment times are important. I like getting PBs but, unless conditions are particularly advantageous for one I'm approaching, I tend to concentrate on my average and intensity.

Although, I haven't been out on the road since last year

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VLAD (the Friendly Vamp) View Post
    Strava Live Segs are this....

When you are riding your bike on the local roads the Segments that you have starred on strava appear on the screen when you are several hundred meters away.

They then show the segment and your progress on it during the ride and then compare it against your PR.

After you pass the segement - it goes off your screen and back to your normal screens.

You must star segments on strava to see them on the Garmin and have the garmin updated for them to take effect. - Check the Garmin updates on Garmin express - very small update.

This will help you...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...egments-188811
    All this, but with the exception, you can choose for it to compare to your PR, your followers or the KOM.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

As Nick said, a right bloody annoyance. I only have a 510 and my eyesight found it tough to read it anyways. Also, they way the Live Segs are populated is annoying. I want starred (fave segs) but I don't want everyone of those to come up on the Live Segs screen. For example, you could have starred two segs that run the same stretch of road, but are of different lengths. The machine then gets it's knickers in a twist as you pass over multiple segment starts on the same stretch.

Does that make sense? You might be able to go into the unit through your PC and manipulate which segs are logged into the Unit. By this point, I had lost interest and just turned it off.

If I want a KOM/Top 10, I learn where the seg starts and finishes and give it full beans between two points, it aint rocket science but it works =)
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

I did wonder if it might be a nuisance, though I see you can do housekeeping on the unit re which segments are followed. Faff though.

Point taken on the 'full beans' bit, but sometimes I find I miss a PB by such a small margin I know I could probably have pushed just a bit harder if I knew it was that close, particularly over a long segment and stars align e g wind direction.

I've found the 'virtual partner' useful in the past for pacing longer rides (particularly if you use a ride you did previously, as the 'ghost' moves as you did, i.e slows and speeds up rather than at average speed)
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Yeah I can’t remember why I didn’t take that approach, must have been a reason.

I can see that in some circumstances, having your delta on the screen may help you pull out that last second!

Sure, with all these things there’s times where they are of use. Not sure I ever used the ‘ghost’ function. Reminds me of Mariokart

Wasn’t being condescending or wishing to be with the full beans remark, just stating my approach.

Normally flashed up a segment when I had a full head wind. Soon got ditched found it annoying.