Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

One for car lovers, PRS or ex law enforcement

My car isnít being used over winter, itís off the road in a parking space that it part of my household.

Can I go online, SORN it for Feb and maybe March? Is that sound from a law POV. Will is still be insured and is it easily done?

Cheers team
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

You have to SORN it if you donít plan on paying the RFL(tax) you can then insure it as stored I believe.You donít have to insure it if itís not on a public highway but itís advisable to do so.

So my car will still be insured, I wouldn’t change the policy. So I can go on and SORN it on a month by month basis?

Thanks!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Should be fine... just bear in mind you pay for a full month even if you come off SORN say on 26th Feb so don’t do it til 1st March.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

So when should I go on and cancel it for Feb? Anytime as Jan is already paid up yeah?

What about the direct debit, do I need to cancel it? Or will they just not take anything whilst I’m SORN? Don’t want to do anything to mess up the DD.

30/31st at the latest.

Cheers, Ibbo. Any word on the monthly DD? I could just see me going SORN and the money going out anyway. So could cancel the DD, but then I’d clearly have ballache due when coming to set it back up?!

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The only thing you will have to worry about is the Council. If as you say, you dont have a driveway infront of your house (which is between the building line and the pavement), but only a parking space which is attached to the highway, then the Council can still place tickets on the vehicle or even tow it off.

The Councils have thier own rules and regulations and this has nothing to do with Police and the laws of the road. Best to check (quietley) to see what they do about sorn cars on the highways. But as already said - it must be Insured if not on a private drive.

Parking spaces allocated to house do not form private land, they are still highway and Council owned.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Cheers, Ibbo. Any word on the monthly DD? I could just see me going SORN and the money going out anyway. So could cancel the DD, but then I’d clearly have ballache due when coming to set it back up?!
    IIRC if you cancel the DD you can't set it up again for the same vehicle?
    Not 100% but worth checking!