Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Ventoux Day Tripper

For some reason, Ventoux stands out to me as the Alpine climb I most want to conquer.

Had a place on L'Etape du Tour a year or two back, it wasn't on VT but my point is my knee popped not long before it and I had to bail out. Same has happened on cycling events here in the U.K. also, so instead of risking losing cash on booking up for a major event in Europe, I figured I should just jump on a plane one day when I am feeling good.

So what you guys reckon, Ryanair and Squeezy both fly out from Stansted which is basically 10 mins away (don't tell Vlad) on a midnight run! haha

Is a day trip feasible, or do I need to stay one night somewhere do we think? Found this cool webby:

http://www.veloventoux.com/
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Its feasible to do it that way. Did we not have someone on the site that had a challet type gaff in the area ???? There are plenty of places arpound there anyway that could put you up for a night or 2 - that way you can do it from both sides.

Personally I was going to drive to the Alps possibly next year and do a load of climbs, as last time I did it (2006) I was on a 53/39 - 11/25 and it killed me. Also the thin air and walking up and down ADZ, from the shops to the very top - 1850 to 3600 the day before did my legs in.

You can stay in plenty of challets or self service accom in area and do loads of climbs and have a great time for not that much. If a few of us wanted to go - then just hire a van instead of private car. Drive takes about 9 - 10 hours.

or

fly drive to Geneva airport.

I personally prefer drive - as I don't trust the airport staff in UK to look after the bike bags/boxes and not break the bike. In a car/van they are protected.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Do hear you on the bikes! Believe! Would take out insurance!

Im looking to minimise how long I'm away from the missus and Bub, one night tops!
    Last edited by The return of Marty Wild; 2 Weeks Ago at 4:28 PM.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Sounds feasible, though I would take as long as I could get away with, to take in some of the other climbs in the area which look special too.

I would rent a bike... its easier, and you wouldn't have to invest in different gears etc.

Watch the weather forecast too- you wouldn't want to go when there is a Mistral.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Yeah, I do see the pros of having a rented bike, only thing is, with my dodgy knees and having spent years and god knows how much flash trying to get the set up right, I'd be scared to jump on any other bike than mine. Know that sounds crazy.... friends have 'Bike Box Alans' I can borrow. Id then insure my baby up the wazoo. Not too worried about the cost of whacking a 30 on the back, the Potenza one (which I once owned but sent back when Etape fell through) isn't crazy wedge.

Yeah, know the weather is real touchy there too, another pro to going last minute I guess. Am wondering if all that travel and my first proper climb all in one day might be a stretch.... and this is even if the flights allow.

Lots to be said for having your warhorse, rather than some rented dobbin.

BikeBoxAlans are great, but even so I ended up with a bent rear mech hanger. Lesson learned and I unbolted it the next time.

I would personally look to travel on one day, ride first thing the next day and maybe travel home that night, if timings allow. How would you get from Marseille to Mt VT and back?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

If you've got a friend with a bike box that you can borrow, I'd definitely take your own bike.
    Weather and going last minute - it's a mountain, the forecast you see before you jump on the plane could be completely different by the time you get there.
    One day seems optimistic - especially as you've got to get to/from the airport none of which are what you'd call convenient for Mont Ventoux.

Marseille isn't too bad if you rent a car. Hour & 15 mins to Bedoin?

RYA flight times are unhelpful, having had a quick look at May, for example. No way you'd do it in one day, allowing for check-in times and transfers.
    Last edited by PRSboy; 2 Weeks Ago at 5:17 PM.

Was thinking May as it goes! Ok, one night special then, that way I'd be better come the big event anyways. Not quite sure how to get from the airport, have put the feelers out to a couple of mates to see if they want to come in on it, then we could rent a car etc.

Would be scared witless of letting my bike go out of my sight for the flight, but guess if completely covered, it's the lesser of two evils.

Nightmare re. the insanely changeable weather, we did once do a weekend mission to The Ring, only for it to be shut due to fog. We ended up calling it a day, driving back down from the Eifel forest only for it to be pure brilliant sunshine. Alas, we had a train to catch in Calais, so we made up for it by hitting 182mph on the SatNav on the AutoBahn on the way home.

Seems a shame to only do one night when there’s a few different ascents?

I fly to Mallorca every year and hire a BikeboxAlan.I have no qualms flying with the bike.There were nearly 40 of us all told last year and no one had issues.Breakages are rare but I’d never use a soft bag.