Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calorie consumption queries.

Hi All.

Back to cycling after a long flirtation with motorbikes, beer, guitars and fine foods and also some ill health, and fitness seems to be returning but I have noticed something odd. I record all my rides on connect.garmin and have been doing so for the last ten years or so.

Here is a ride from last year:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2239182787

I wore no heart rate monitor. 2108 calories consumed.

Here is a ride from the other day:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3337152133

Calories consumed 1011

For this ride I did wear a heart rate monitor with fresh batteries. The rides seem roughly comparable but the calories consumed are roughly half. I could rationalise this by saying that the HRM allows a more accurate assessment of the work I'm doing but:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/19898547

This ride seems again comparable but I did wear the HRM and the calorie count is much higher. 1897.

I went to this site:

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

Here I entered the stats for the second ride, currently I weigh 268 pounds (I am 6'3" in my defence...), 108 minutes of cycling, 22.56 miles, 12-14mph. This site gave me a calories consumed figure of 1838 as opposed to 1011 that Garmin reported.

I understand that there have been some glitches on the Garmin site lately, maybe I am just seeing a manifestation of this, or is there something I'm simply not understanding here?

Thanks.
    Last edited by stratblue; 2 Weeks Ago at 7:28 PM.

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    The burning of callories during a ride can be varied and depend on many variables. They should only ever be taken as a guide.

Your body weight, build, effort used in the ride, aerodynamics, equipment etc etc all have an effect on the reading for callories burnt on a ride.

Dont use them as a guide to how much weight you are burning - use a set of scales and a tape measure around your tum.

We were discussing this on another post and the - Zwift rides - and it appears that the slow, low level efforts to burn fat is not actually that good at burning the fat off and that intervals of high effort repeated during a ride will be of more bennefit.

Some also say that a ride before you eat breakfast, or a reduced breakfast - will result in more fat burn.

Getting fitter will also be easier if the weight is lost, the only way of doing it , is to ride baby ride.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

True wot Vlad says. Just ride alot and eat sensibly, you can't go wrong.

Calorie measures are a guide only. Also, when/if you get into HIIT, there is a significant 'afterburn' where calories are consumed long after you stop your session.

Anyway, another guitar man here... you can probably work out my main axe from my username! I do have a few strats... what have you got? What styles are you into?
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

Hey there, thanks for the reply. What you outlined there is pretty much what I'm trying to do, it's just that I do love a mystery and I'm really curious about the discrepancy. 'Inquiring minds want to know' and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by PRSboy View Post
    True wot Vlad says. Just ride alot and eat sensibly, you can't go wrong.

Calorie measures are a guide only. Also, when/if you get into HIIT, there is a significant 'afterburn' where calories are consumed long after you stop your session.

Anyway, another guitar man here... you can probably work out my main axe from my username! I do have a few strats... what have you got? What styles are you into?
    So, you must play the tuba then I guess...I have a few, a strat, Gibson Howard Roberts and a Levinson Blade. mainly I'm into the old stuff, funk motown etc, used to be a guitar teacher up in London.

Further to the mystery, my partner and I did the same ride today, separately, and she is much lighter and slower than me yet she burnt more calories than me! I was sitting at 130-140 bpm for nearly an hour and only burnt 690 calories whereas she burnt over 700 and admits to some walking. Any boffins know what is going on here?

Yes.....take it all with a big pinch of salt

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo68 View Post
    Yes.....take it all with a big pinch of salt
    How many calories in that?

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    How many bpm was she at? Working harder trying to keep up?
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

The calorie calculations are only just that- calculations, a guide only. Each person, even two people of the same age, sex and weight over the same course will use different calories in reality. There is undoubtedly stuff on line about the calculation algorithms. I get different results from Garmin Connect and Strava on the same ride.

Best guide to calories burned is the size of your waistline!
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone