Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Groupsets

Groupsets

My ageing Campag Centaur shifters have had their day. I also want to change the chainset to get some lower gears - I'm getting older and slower.

Talking to the man in the Bike Shop he reckons I need a whoie new Groupset because "you'll want it all to be the same, won't you?" He's not going to be selling it to me, as he doesn't even try to compete with the on-line prices, so it isn't necessarily a hard-sell.

I'm not ready to go electronic so he reckons that the best value for money groupset out there is Ultegra.

Is he right? Should I go groupset or just get some new Campag Centaur levers and Chainset. If I do go groupset should I indeed go Ultegra.

I've always been a bit of a Campy snob but my newish winter steed has Shimano 105 on it, and I have to admit that it does change nicely.

Thoughts?

Think all mechanical group sets are pretty decent nowadays. The rest £££££ just comes down to weight saving. If your not racing up hills then 105 would be fine.

Potenza looks good for the same money as Ultegra, as does the new centaur for a bit less money.

That said I have both old Centaur and new ultegra and the Shimano is most impressive.

Couldn’t go wrong with either. Campag still looks better to my eyes and I do prefer the shifters.
    "If you act like you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want- except neurosurgery"- Sharon Stone

I have Ultegra but much prefer the look of SRAM Rival.
    My son has SRAM Rival on his Battaglin and it's very nice.He also prefers the double-tap to the Shimano on his CX Bike.

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    If staying mechanical stay with Campy maybe?! If I was to go SHIMono fishing tackle I’d go Ultegra Di2 I reckon.

What about Etap and run it with Campy cogs? If I ever spend more money on my bike, I’d do that.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    I have both Ultegra Di2 (1st series) and Ultegra mechanical, and SRAM Red E Tap.

Both makes are extremley good.

The new 6800 Ultegra Di2 is very impressive, but the mech Ultegra is just as good as Dura Ace. The new 105 is just as good as the Ultegra but weighs a bit more.

Here is a great write up on Cycling weekly about all groupsets.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...s-guide-142789
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Thanks for the thoughts.

I did consider SRAM but Bike Shop Man put me off a bit by saying that the front mechs are a bugger to set up correctly - once they're set they are great, but it isn't easy to get to that position. Having struggled to get my Centaur front mech set-up just right that's made me a bit wary.

I'm still undecided between the full Ultegra groupset, although the pull of that is quite strong, and going with Centaur/Potenza shifters.

As has been said, I can't go seriously wrong with whatever I do, this is all good stuff after all.

You want to change bike shops.....I set up my etap within a hour..and I'm a builder

if I was in the market for a new groupset....I'll be buying the new etap 12 speed

Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar
    Electronic shifters set themselves up don’t they?! What a plonker this bike man must be.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    Actually - he is slightly right - the position of the front mech on ETap can involve a bit of fiddling to get the right position. But once set up - its great.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!