Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member The return of Marty Wild's Avatar

Supplements and avoiding illness

Iím off work today feeling rough as old houses, got on Zwift last night for two minutes before realising it wasnít a good idea.

This is the third time Iíve been ill now this winter, guessing the seriously disturbed sleep and breaking myself a few times on Zwift havenít helped.

Some studies served to suggest light exercise is good for the immune system, but heavy efforts are not so.

Do you guys take any supplements, be them for recovery or staving off illness? Being ill so much is doing mine and my employerís head in.

Would love to reduce recovery time from big efforts and/or be less ill now Iím a dad.
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Don't take anything.
    Erratic "sleep" pattern.(If you believe the "experts")
    Drink too much wine.
    Rarely ill.(once in last 10 years or so)
    I just think my body has gotten used to it.
    Recovery time.....?I just carry on as "normal"

Ill once in 10 years? You need to leave your body to medical science!
    "Iím glad you asked me twice, you see I am a bilingual, Iím a bilingual illiterateÖ I canít read in two languages."

Quote Originally Posted by The return of Marty Wild View Post
    Ill once in 10 years? You need to leave your body to medical science!
    That's just a rough guess.I get colds/sniffles but nowt to keep me from doing stuff or make me think "I'm ill".
    I can tell you this 100%.I've been at my current employer since 2007...number of sick days...4.(We get 100% pay from day 1 for 6 months too!).

Senior Member VLAD (the Friendly Vamp)'s Avatar
    Flying through your bedroom window at night time
    When I was at work - with the shite air con we did have in the office and about 30 bobbies crushed in a small room, then meeting the population outside (some not the cleanest) both the wife and I suffered from coughs and colds regularly.

Since we both retired, the colds and coughs have reduced by about 90%.

I've got snuffles this year due to training in the cold damp garage on Zwift, but they are not major bad.

I used to take vitamin supplements, but it just made my finger nails grow very quick and become brittle. I stopped taking them.

Just eating healthily, lots of veg and fruit is generally better for you than a stomach of pills. But if you do get the lurgy, then you need to take some decent meds like Beechams etc, for cold and flu and take lots of hot drinks. Rest and decent sleep is beneficial (hard to do with a young one I know). Then just wait it out. A cold cant kill you.

Its the people at work who criticise you for being off work, but they attend work full of bugs/cold and flu, to have a good attendance report, that pass it to everyone else. Totally selfless as we all suffer in different ways.

If there was a quick cure that didn't cost much - I'd not be on this forum, I'd be on my private island in warm waters.
    "Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself."
    Gene Simmons - Kiss

God - why am I so great !!!

Perhaps you've never 100% recovered from the first bout of illness.

As Vlad says it's really about proper nutrition and good rest.

We had an interesting talk in work from a dietician - apparently there's a lot of evidence to support the use of probiotics in helping fend off illness. Of course the marketing men have muddied the waters around this by trying to sell it as a miracle cure.

I eat plenty of veg, not so much fruit. Don’t think it’s diet related. Don’t drink fizzy drinks, a few beers of a weekend.

Definitely feel the last 3 weeks of hideous nights haven’t helped.

Was also interested to see if you guys take anything towards training and recovery times?! Yeah

At work, they’ve kept ramming more and more people into the same office space. Literally gone from 90 to 180 in the office and most love coming in and giving it the biggun about being ill.

I normally get ill enough to take 2-3 days off once a year, three times since December is unusual and a right arse.

Don’t get me wrong if I’m ill I will phone in sick!
    We have too many at work going the other way.6 months off (paid) back for a month then 6 months off again!Too easy to do.

Read on cold showers